Electrons and positrons free fall within a superconducting cylinder

In summary, the discussion is about the behavior of electrons and positrons in a superconducting cylinder. It is suggested that electrons would experience an electric field that would freeze them in the cylinder, while positrons would experience a different electric field that would result in a 2g acceleration. This is surprising as it goes against the usual understanding of the Lenz law. The author is seeking clarification on this matter.
lalbatros
I read about electrons and positrons free fall within a superconducting cylinder, in this book (p 105):

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0521675537/?tag=pfamazon01-20

I don't understand what I read.

Apparently, electrons would feel an electric field mg/e that would actually freeze them in the cyclinder. This is already not totally clear. But I assume that any motion would create huge reacting currents in the cylinder to balance the motion. This would be the usual Lenz law. But I would like to that understand better.

Where I really don't understand is when positrons are discussed.
Apparently they would feel a -mg/e field that would in total result in a 2g acceleration. I feel this is very strange since this is contradictory to my usual understanding of the Lenz law: the induced current would then re-inforced the motion instead of damping it.

Any suggestion ?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
WIthout further details one can only speculate But it sounds like an electric field (E) is set up in which case the magnitude of the electric force on both the electron and positron would be the same(Ee).In the case of the electron Ee acts up to balance its weight
(mg=Ee) and for the positron Ee acts down making a resultant force(mg+Ee=2mg).
This reminds me of Millikans experiment where e was measured.

Dadface,

It seems that a field appears spontaneaously.
This is not totally surprising.
What is surprising if the effect on positrons.
I would expect the same effect both for e- and p+, since the effect should actually counter-act on the motion of the particle.

Here is what I don't fully understand:

http://www.geocities.com/l.albatros/pictures/epfreefall.jpg

http://www.geocities.com/l.albatros/pictures/epfreefall2.jpg

1. What is a superconducting cylinder and how does it work?

A superconducting cylinder is a cylindrical object made of a material that has the ability to conduct electricity with no resistance or energy loss. This is possible due to the phenomenon of superconductivity, where electrons can move freely without any obstacles or collisions. This allows for the efficient flow of electricity and makes the cylinder an ideal component for various applications.

2. How do electrons and positrons behave when free falling within a superconducting cylinder?

When inside a superconducting cylinder, electrons and positrons experience zero resistance and are able to free fall without any hindrance. This is because the superconducting material allows for the unobstructed movement of electric charges, creating an environment of zero resistance.

3. What is the significance of studying the free fall of electrons and positrons within a superconducting cylinder?

Studying the behavior of electrons and positrons within a superconducting cylinder can provide valuable insights into the properties and applications of superconductivity. This research has potential applications in fields such as energy transmission, medical imaging, and quantum computing.

4. Can other particles besides electrons and positrons experience free fall within a superconducting cylinder?

Yes, any charged particles can experience free fall within a superconducting cylinder. This is because the superconducting material allows for the unimpeded movement of electric charges, regardless of the type of particle.

5. Are there any limitations or challenges to studying the free fall of electrons and positrons within a superconducting cylinder?

One limitation is the need for extremely low temperatures for superconductivity to occur. This can make it difficult to conduct experiments and study the behavior of electrons and positrons within a superconducting cylinder. Additionally, the properties of superconducting materials can also be affected by external factors such as magnetic fields, which can complicate the research process.