Find exact value difference identity

In summary, the conversation is about finding the exact value of the expression Tan(3/4-12/5) using the equation tan(x-y)= (tan3/4 -tan12/5)/ (1+tan3/4tan12/5). The individual providing the solution is struggling to find the exact values for the ratios and is under pressure to complete the task.
synergix

Homework Statement

Find the exact value of the expression Tan(3/4-12/5)

Homework Equations

tan(x-y)= (tan3/4 -tan12/5)/ (1+tan3/4tan12/5)

The Attempt at a Solution

I am not sure how to get exact values for these ratios. I haven't been able to get past this point

Physics news on Phys.org
synergix said:
Find the exact value of the expression Tan(3/4-12/5)

Hi synergix! :smile:

Why can't you just subtract 12/5 from 3/4, and then look up the tan? :confused:

I amnot sure what you mean by look up the tan. I get tan(-33/20) when I subtract them. I can get the answer just not the exact answer.

uhhhh... I guess that would be the exact answer... maybe I have confused myself haha.. I'm under a bit of pressure right now to get this done perhaps I have overcomplicated this

he he :biggrin:

1. What is a "Find exact value difference identity"?

A "Find exact value difference identity" is a mathematical equation that allows you to find the exact value of a trigonometric function by subtracting the values of two other trigonometric functions. It is also known as the "difference formula".

2. How is a "Find exact value difference identity" used?

A "Find exact value difference identity" is used to simplify and evaluate trigonometric expressions. It can also be used to solve trigonometric equations and prove other trigonometric identities.

3. What are the most commonly used "Find exact value difference identities"?

The most commonly used "Find exact value difference identities" are the sine difference identity, cosine difference identity, and tangent difference identity. These identities involve the sine, cosine, and tangent functions, respectively.

4. How do you derive a "Find exact value difference identity"?

A "Find exact value difference identity" can be derived using the Pythagorean identity and the sum and difference identities. These identities can be manipulated to find the difference between two trigonometric functions.

5. Are "Find exact value difference identities" only used for trigonometric functions?

No, "Find exact value difference identities" can also be used for other types of functions, such as exponential and logarithmic functions. However, they are most commonly used for trigonometric functions.