Home automation through telephone

In summary, the conversation is about designing a home automation system using a telephone. The person is seeking ideas and resources for their project, including websites, journal papers, and simulation software. The responder suggests using Asterisk, a free software for controlling a phoneline and X10, a standard for controlling appliances through power signals. They also mention Linux as a popular option and suggest looking into SCADA.
kautilya
hi there,

i am trying a project on home automation through a telephone. i am trying to design my own system for this. can u give me some ideas regarding this? any site i should refer? any journal papers i can refer?

what is the simulation software i should know for designing this system?

i will appreciate if u help me in this matter.

regards
kautilya

Engineering news on Phys.org
I won't likely be of any help, but I do have a question. Do you intend to simply use the phone line in the same way that a high-speed internet connection does, or do you want an acoustic command system that goes through an actual telephone handset?

Asterisk (http://www.asterisk.org/) is free opensource software for doing just about anything with a phoneline and a computer. It can certainly handle 'press 1 to do X' stuff.

There is also a standard called X10 that let's your computer (or anything else) control appliance by signals sent over the power wiring in your house. You plug a little brick between the power socket and the device, other bricks plugged into other sockets can turn devices on and off. It's simpler and safer than messing about interfacing to power electrics yourself.

Linux is very popular for this sort of stuff - see http://www.linuxha.com/

Last edited:
You might want to look into http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SCADA" .

Last edited by a moderator:
Is it wrong if I bump-reply before deleting the spam that actually bumped this old thread? I kinda like it...

What is home automation through telephone?

Home automation through telephone is a system that allows you to control various aspects of your home, such as lighting, temperature, and security, through a telephone or smartphone application.

How does home automation through telephone work?

Home automation through telephone works by connecting various devices and appliances in your home to a central hub or controller, which can then be accessed and controlled remotely through a telephone or smartphone application.

What are the benefits of home automation through telephone?

There are several benefits to home automation through telephone, including increased convenience and control, improved energy efficiency, and enhanced home security.

What types of devices can be controlled through home automation through telephone?

Most devices and appliances that are connected to a home's electrical system can be controlled through home automation, including lights, thermostats, security systems, and even kitchen appliances.

Is home automation through telephone safe and secure?

Yes, most home automation systems through telephone use secure encryption methods to protect your data and prevent unauthorized access. However, it is important to choose a reputable and trusted system to ensure the highest level of security.