How to get back and build Engineering Career

In summary, the individual is struggling to find a path to their engineering career due to personal reasons and a lack of job opportunities. They have considered going back to school for a M.Sc. in Mechanical Engineering or taking engineering courses at a community college in order to get an entry-level job. However, they are unsure if these options will be successful and are concerned about funding. They are seeking advice on the best course of action and may also speak to career services for guidance.
ISUME
Hello everyone, I've difficulty on finding a path to my engineering career. I've a B.Sc. in Mechanical Engineering from a reputable top 50 engineering program U.S. university. I'm certain that I've fully capabled to cover entry-level engineering responsibilities and climb up to the top from there. The problem is that I've not had luck finding a job due to personal reason in the past. Since graduation, I've been working at any low paying jobs to pay bills. It's now 6 years past and I realize that it is impossible for me to get even an entry-level job especially, in this kinda economy. Correct me if I'm wrong. I've been thinking that maybe there are still options available so that I can get back into the right path:
1. Go back to college get M.Sc. in Mechanical Engineering or Other related degree or,
2. Take some engineering related courses for community college so I can get an entry-level job or,
3. Get FE certification.

Other than that, I don't know what else to do and I'm not 100% sure if by taking one of the option will work as plan. Besides, school funding might be a problem. Please help, I need some advice. Thanks in Advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
In this economic environment, I think you need additional education to make an argument that you have viable engineering skills. The easiest option on your list is #2; and additionally, speak to the career services people at the school and get advice from them on how best to plan.

I am confused. If you already have a B.S. ME, then why would you need
2. Take some engineering related courses for community college so I can get an entry-level job
?
:confused:

What are the steps to take to get back and build my engineering career?

The first step is to assess the current state of your engineering skills and knowledge. Identify any gaps or areas that need improvement. Then, update your resume and LinkedIn profile to showcase your skills and experience. Next, network with other engineers and attend industry events to stay updated on the latest trends. Additionally, consider taking online courses or certifications to enhance your skills. Finally, actively apply for engineering positions and be prepared for interviews.

Is it possible to get back into engineering after a career break?

Yes, it is absolutely possible to get back into engineering after a career break. Many companies value the diverse perspectives and experiences that individuals with career breaks can bring to their team. It is important to highlight any relevant skills or experiences you gained during your break and demonstrate your enthusiasm and dedication to re-entering the engineering field.

How can I stay relevant in the engineering field while on a career break?

While on a career break, you can stay relevant in the engineering field by keeping up with industry news and developments through online resources, attending conferences and workshops, and connecting with other engineers through professional networking platforms. You can also consider volunteering or taking on freelance projects to keep your skills sharp and gain new experiences.

What skills are most important for a successful engineering career?

Some of the most important skills for a successful engineering career include strong technical knowledge, problem-solving abilities, critical thinking, communication skills, teamwork, and adaptability. It is also important to stay updated on the latest technology and industry trends.

How can I overcome obstacles and challenges in my engineering career?

To overcome obstacles and challenges in your engineering career, it is important to have a growth mindset and be open to learning and adapting. Seek feedback from colleagues and mentors, and continuously improve your skills and knowledge. It is also important to maintain a positive attitude and persevere through difficult situations. Networking and building a strong support system can also help you overcome challenges in your career.