Why does the inside of a conductor have the same electric potential everywhere?

So, in summary, the movement of free electrons inside the conductor is due to the potential difference and the resulting electrical field. This only applies in equilibrium, as in an electronic device the conducting channel is always out-of-equilibrium and there is a potential gradient across it.
lifeiseasy
My teacher said so, but I just don't understand why. Is it because of the free movement of electrons inside the conductor?

Physics news on Phys.org
lifeiseasy said:
My teacher said so, but I just don't understand why. Is it because of the free movement of electrons inside the conductor?
That statement is only true if the conductor is in equilibrium.

Think of it this way: If the potential wasn't zero everywhere in the conductor, due to the many free electrons in a good conductor, there would be charge flow against this potential gradient and the gradient would vanish very quickly.

But as Hootenanny pointed out, this is true only for equilibrium. In an electronic device where you want steady state current flow, the conducting channel is always out-of-equilibrium and there's a potential gradient across it.

lifeiseasy said:

Yes. If there is a potential difference, it means existence of an electrical field E and the force eE. In a conductor the charges move until their new charge distribution creates a polarisation field compensating the external one.

1. Why is the electric potential the same everywhere inside a conductor?

Inside a conductor, the charged particles (electrons) are free to move around in response to an applied electric field. This movement of electrons causes them to redistribute themselves in a way that ensures the electric potential is the same at all points inside the conductor.

2. How does a conductor maintain the same electric potential throughout?

A conductor maintains the same electric potential throughout by redistributing its free electrons in response to an external electric field. This redistribution ensures that any excess charge on the conductor will be evenly distributed, resulting in the same electric potential at all points inside the conductor.

3. What happens if the electric potential is not the same throughout a conductor?

If the electric potential is not the same throughout a conductor, the excess charge on the conductor will not be evenly distributed. This can lead to a buildup of charge in certain areas, causing a non-uniform electric field. This can result in sparking or electrical breakdown of the conductor.

4. Does the shape or size of a conductor affect the uniformity of electric potential?

No, the shape or size of a conductor does not affect the uniformity of electric potential. As long as the conductor is made of the same material and has the same properties throughout, the redistribution of electrons will ensure the same potential at all points inside the conductor.

5. Can a non-conductor have the same electric potential throughout?

No, a non-conductor (insulator) does not have the same properties as a conductor. In a non-conductor, the electrons are not free to move around and redistribute in response to an external electric field. Therefore, the electric potential will not be the same throughout a non-conductor.