Seeking advice for mathematics progression

In summary, the conversation revolves around a student's concerns about taking math classes for their engineering program. They are currently fulfilling prerequisites but are unsure if they should prioritize taking additional math classes or focus on completing their prerequisites. Other students suggest taking Differential Equations and Linear Algebra as soon as possible in order to have a better understanding of math before starting engineering courses. The student also mentions comparing different community colleges and seeking advice on review books.
rgp28
Hello,

I'm currently fulfilling prereq's for an engineering program and just finished Calculus III over the summer.

I need to take some Chemistry and Engineering Physics to finish up my prereq's, and so I'm kind of placing emphasis here on what I need to get admitted to the program.

However, once I enter the program I will need to take Calc IV, Differential Equations, and Linear Algebra.

Should I make every effort possible to get into those math classes ASAP after the prereq's? Or, should I maybe even put off the focus on prereq's and get these additional math classes taken care of?

I'm just worried about losing the edge with my knowledge of mathematics. I guess I'd have to just keep reviewing material.

Thanks,
Rod

Physics news on Phys.org
You should definitely take Differential equations and linear algebra. You will run into them a lot in engineering and the sciences.

Thanks
Matt

CFDFEAGURU said:
You should definitely take Differential equations and linear algebra. You will run into them a lot in engineering and the sciences.

Thanks
Matt

Thanks for the reply, Matt.

Yeah, I know I need Diff Eq and Linear Alg. I guess to clarify I was just wondering if I should really try to take them ASAP as I just finished Calc 3 this summer. I'm starting to think that maybe this is a dumb question and a no-brainer.

Thanks,
Rod

You have two choices:

Take the courses as soon as possible so you do not loose your current abilities and understandings,
OR
Restudy so that you stay in shape for a few weeks before enrolling in the D.E. and L.A. courses that you need.

one thing i wish i had done was taken prerequisites over summer. You could easily squeeze in 2 courses in summer which means you would be able to do your major/minor required courses over regular thyme. Plus, since you would start early (semester wise) on your major/minor you might graduate quicker, if not, you'll at least have spare time to take extra courses on your subject of interest.

what Chem and Physics courses are you required to do anyway? Physics I (mechanics) is doable over summer, So is General Chemistry I and II...i would do Physics II (electricity and magnetism) over regular time though.

since you did calc III over summer (which imo was a good choice) i think you should carry on with at least DE. If you want you can do Linear Algebra as well. Bunch do DE and Linear Algebra together so that's doable too. What exactly is Calc IV btw?

I'm not a engineer but doing Math/CS/Physics i run into them time to time. Most i know prefer to get Mathematics requirement asap.

Last edited:
I'll add that you should do everything you can to not be taking math prereqs concurrently with engineering courses that require them. Knowing the math ahead of time will make the engineering much less of a struggle and will almost certainly improve your grades.

rubrix said:
what Chem and Physics courses are you required to do anyway?

What exactly is Calc IV btw?

As far as prereq's, I need Gen Chem I and Eng Physics I & II (mechanics and electromagnetism/oscillation). I will still need to take Eng. Phys. III (waves) later on.

Calc IV is just a 5-credit Advanced Multivariable Calculus.

I've heard from some people that they didn't think it was a good idea to take a physics class along with a calculus class--that it was too difficult to allow enough time for both. I suppose that just depends on the individual. I do tend to spend a lot of time studying, probably more time than most.

I've been comparing two different community colleges. One will allow me to take the Calc IV right away and along with Chem and Eng Phys I. With the other, I can take Chem and Eng Phys I, but will have to wait until Spring to take Calc IV.

I like the idea of taking Chem I/Phys I/Calc 4 together, but wonder if I can physically devote the time I should to them.

Thanks for the feedback,
Rod

kote said:
I'll add that you should do everything you can to not be taking math prereqs concurrently with engineering courses that require them. Knowing the math ahead of time will make the engineering much less of a struggle and will almost certainly improve your grades.

That makes a lot of sense.

Even if I have to put the math on the backburner, I should still be able to get back into it by the Spring quarter at the latest. So, I should be done before I would start the official engineering courses in the major.

Thanks!

Last edited:
BTW,

Have any of you guys used or heard of Schaum's Outline of Calculus/Outline of Advanced Calculus?

In case I just need to put the math on the backburner and review for taking it later, I've heard that these are good review books.

What are some tips for improving my math skills?

1. Practice regularly: Consistent practice is key to improving your math skills. Set aside time each day to work on math problems, even if it's just for a few minutes.

2. Understand the fundamentals: Make sure you have a strong understanding of basic math concepts before moving on to more advanced topics.

3. Seek help when needed: Don't be afraid to ask for help when you're stuck on a problem or concept. Talk to your teacher, classmates, or seek out a tutor.

4. Use online resources: There are many websites and apps that offer free math tutorials and practice problems. Take advantage of these resources to supplement your learning.

5. Stay organized: Keep all your notes, assignments, and practice problems organized so you can easily review and track your progress.

How can I overcome math anxiety?

1. Identify the source of your anxiety: Figure out what specifically makes you anxious about math. Understanding the root cause can help you address it.

2. Practice relaxation techniques: Deep breathing, meditation, and other relaxation techniques can help calm your nerves before tackling a math problem.

3. Focus on the process, not the outcome: Instead of worrying about getting the right answer, focus on understanding the steps and process to solve a problem.

4. Seek support: Talk to a friend, family member, or teacher about your anxiety. Having someone to talk to and offer support can make a big difference.

5. Change your mindset: Instead of saying "I'm bad at math," try saying "I'm still learning math." Changing your mindset can help you approach math with a more positive attitude.

What are the benefits of studying math?

1. Develop critical thinking skills: Math requires logical and analytical thinking, which can improve your problem-solving skills in all areas of life.

2. Enhance career opportunities: Many high-paying and in-demand jobs, such as engineering and finance, require strong math skills.

3. Improve decision-making: Understanding mathematical concepts can help you make informed decisions in various areas, such as personal finance and data analysis.

4. Sharpen your brain: Studies have shown that regularly engaging in math can improve cognitive function and even prevent age-related cognitive decline.

5. Increase confidence: As you improve your math skills, you will gain a sense of accomplishment and confidence in your abilities.

How do I know if I'm ready to move on to the next math level?

1. Check your understanding: Can you confidently solve problems related to the current level? Make sure you have a strong grasp of the concepts before moving on.

2. Assess your grades: Are you consistently getting good grades on assignments and tests? This is a good indicator that you are ready to move on.

3. Seek feedback: Ask your teacher or tutor for feedback on your progress and if they think you're ready to move on.

4. Challenge yourself: Try tackling some practice problems from the next level to see if you can handle the more advanced concepts.

5. Trust your instincts: If you feel confident and ready to move on, trust your instincts and go for it!