Recommend a book on Mathematical Methods for Physicists

In summary, the book we'll be using, from what i hear, is not very well laid out. The book is written by our professor...and well, the professors review is filled with students saying bad things about his book. Now i have had a free online preview of chapter 1 of the book and it seems all right. Still, i would like to have another one for a reference. I would like to buy a Mathematical Methods for Physicists book that i can look back to 15 years from now.
rubrix
the book we'll be using, from what i hear, is not very well laid out. The book is written by our professor...and well, the professors review is filled with students saying bad things about his book. Now i have had a free online preview of chapter 1 of the book and it seems all right. Still, i would like to have another one for a reference. I would like to buy a Mathematical Methods for Physicists book that i can look back to 15 years from now.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I use these three often,

Mathematical Methods by Boas
Basic Training in Mathematics by Shankar
and
Mathematical Methods by Lorella Jones

A great reference is Mathematical Methods by Riley.

Just type the titles and the authors on amazon, for sure they'll show up.

Mathematical Methods for Physics and Engineering by Riley, Hobson and Bence is the standard choice at my uni.

Riley looks good.

anyone has any other recommendations?

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Arfken. It is a pretty standard graduate level text, and from what I've read, it is quite good.

Since you guys have given me too much options to choose from, which I'm grateful for...

but I'm literally a newbie to this and i really have no clue which one fits me best so help me out here.I've done a bit of undergrad mathematics courses including pure as well as applied. I'll be taking more applied courses, some of which correlate to stuff that is in this course.

that being said here is a brief content of the book we will be using:

# Mathematical Methods:

* Vectors and Vector Calculus

* Matrices and Rotations

* Differential Equations

* Series Solutions of Differential Equations

* Special Functions and the Generalized Fourier Series

* Linear Systems of Differential Equations

* Nonlinear Differential Equations

# Maple:

* Vectors and Vector Calculus

* Matrices and Rotations

* Differential Equations

* Power Series Solutions of Differential Equations

* Special Functions and Generalized Fourier Series

* Linear Systems of Differential Equations

* Nonlinear Differential EquationsI have used Maple before (briefly though). In this course, I assume i'll get more exposed to them. So, if there is a decent Maple based book that would be appreciated too.

I think u must read out the Book

""Mathematical Methods for Physicists""
By Arfkan and Webber...

there are al contents that r required by u in this book...
we are also using this book...

thnx n regards

i managed to get a hold of Arfkan and Webber ebook (along with few other Mathematical Methods for Physicists ebook) and from my first glance it seems decent...i'm order a hardcopy soon.

much appreciated for all the help :)

What is the recommended book for learning mathematical methods for physicists?

The most highly recommended book for learning mathematical methods for physicists is "Mathematical Methods in the Physical Sciences" by Mary L. Boas. It covers a wide range of topics including calculus, differential equations, linear algebra, and complex variables.

Is "Mathematical Methods in the Physical Sciences" suitable for beginners?

Yes, this book is suitable for beginners as it starts with basic mathematical concepts and gradually builds up to more advanced topics. It also includes numerous examples and exercises to help readers understand the material.

Are there any other books that are good for learning mathematical methods for physicists?

Yes, there are other recommended books such as "Mathematical Methods for Physicists" by George B. Arfken and "Mathematical Methods for Physics and Engineering" by K.F. Riley, M.P. Hobson, and S.J. Bence. It is always helpful to consult multiple sources when learning a new subject.

Can "Mathematical Methods in the Physical Sciences" be used as a reference book?

Yes, this book can also serve as a useful reference for physicists as it covers a wide range of mathematical topics relevant to their field. It includes many tables, graphs, and formulas for quick and easy reference.

Is there an online version of "Mathematical Methods in the Physical Sciences" available?

Yes, there is an online version of the book available for purchase on various platforms such as Amazon Kindle and Google Play Books. However, it is recommended to also have a physical copy for easier navigation and reference.