Nuclear explosion in space x-rays hit atmosphere.

In summary: Yes, this momentum difference shows up in the momentum of the electrons and ions with the average momentum in the direction of the beam.
Spinnor
Gold Member
Suppose we set off a nuclear weapon 400 km above the surface of the Earth. See:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starfish_Prime

When the x-rays hit the atmosphere what gets the greatest velocity boost, electrons or ions?

Can we assume the averaged velocity of all boosted particles is in the direction opposite the blast?

Thank you for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Electrons being lighter would scatter gamma/x-ray photons and receive more energy than ions. The blast wave would apply some pressure on the ions.

However, realize that the blast front density rapidly decreases with 1/r3.

Astronuc said:
Electrons being lighter would scatter gamma/x-ray photons and receive more energy than ions. The blast wave would apply some pressure on the ions.

However, realize that the blast front density rapidly decreases with 1/r3.

Thanks, though I'm not clear on the last sentence. The blast front is well(?)... the front of the blast? X-rays lead the race followed by electrons and ions? And if I double my distance from the blast I should halve my x-ray dose? What is it that goes as 1/r^3?

Thanks again!

Spinnor said:
Thanks, though I'm not clear on the last sentence. The blast front is well(?)... the front of the blast? X-rays lead the race followed by electrons and ions? And if I double my distance from the blast I should halve my x-ray dose? What is it that goes as 1/r^3?

Thanks again!

If I double my distance from a source (point like) I should reduce my dose by 1/4.

Spinnor said:
...When the x-rays hit the atmosphere what gets the greatest velocity boost, electrons or ions?

Can we assume the averaged velocity of all boosted particles is in the direction opposite the blast?

1) Electrons are lighter and easier to displace.

2) The averaged - yes but keep in mind that an X-ray is a transversal electromagnetic field. It makes charges oscillate in the transversal to the propagation direction. As a result, the charges will obtain transversal and longitudinal vectors of velocity. The averaged transversal components give zero, the longitudinal remain.

Last edited:
Bob_for_short said:
1) Electrons are lighter and easier to displace.

2) The averaged - yes but keep in mind that an X-ray is a transversal electromagnetic field. It makes charges oscillate in the transversal to the propagation direction. As a result, the charges will obtain transversal and longitudinal vectors of velocity. The averaged transversal components give zero, the longitudinal remain.
The plots of the absorption cross section of photons below 100-200 KeV show a large increase above the Thomson -scattering cross section, due primarily to deep-core photoejection of bound atomic electrons. There is a plot in Evans, "The Atomic Nucleus", (page 696) showing the directional distribution of photoejected electrons as a function of photon energy varying from about ~60 degrees max at 20 KeV to ~15 degrees at 511 KeV. On the same page it states that the "photoelectrons tend to be ejected in the direction of the electric vector of the incident radiation."
Bob S

Bob_for_short said:
The plots of the absorption cross section of photons below 100-200 KeV show a large increase above the Thomson -scattering cross section, due primarily to deep-core photoejection of bound atomic electrons. There is a plot in Evans, "The Atomic Nucleus", (page 696) showing the directional distribution of photoejected electrons as a function of photon energy varying from about ~60 degrees max at 20 KeV to ~15 degrees at 511 KeV. On the same page it states that the "photoelectrons tend to be ejected in the direction of the electric vector of the incident radiation."
Bob S

Which should average to zero(?) perpendicular to the beam as the x-rays have equal probability for all polarizations(?).

If this "beam" of x-rays scatter into all directions then the initial momentum of the x-ray beam is greater then the final summed momentum of the scattered x-rays, this momentum difference shows up in the momentum of the electrons and ions with the average momentum in the direction of the beam, as you stated above?.

Thank you for your time!

Posted by Bob S

Spinnor said:
Which should average to zero(?) perpendicular to the beam as the x-rays have equal probability for all polarizations(?).
Probably not. Low energy x-rays come from electrons hitting high-Z targets and creating bremsstrahlung, and the x-rays are largely polarized at 90 degrees at low energies. See Heitler, "Quantum Theory of Radiation", 3rd edition, pgs 244-245.

If this "beam" of x-rays scatter into all directions then the initial momentum of the x-ray beam is greater then the final summed momentum of the scattered x-rays, this momentum difference shows up in the momentum of the electrons and ions with the average momentum in the direction of the beam, as you stated above?.
!
Deep-core photoejection and the photoelectric effect absorb the entire energy of the incident photon. There are no scattered x-rays. Compton scattering (and Thomson scattering), usually dominant above ~100 KeV, both have scattered x-rays.
Bob S

1. What is a nuclear explosion in space?

A nuclear explosion in space refers to the detonation of a nuclear weapon or device in outer space. This is different from a nuclear explosion on Earth, as the lack of atmosphere in space allows for a different type of explosion to occur.

2. How do x-rays from a nuclear explosion in space affect the atmosphere?

X-rays from a nuclear explosion in space can have several effects on the atmosphere. They can cause ionization of molecules and particles in the upper atmosphere, which can lead to changes in atmospheric chemistry and weather patterns. They can also damage satellites and other objects in orbit, and potentially disrupt communication and navigation systems.

3. Can x-rays from a nuclear explosion in space harm humans?

Yes, x-rays from a nuclear explosion in space can harm humans if they are exposed to high levels of radiation. However, the atmosphere acts as a natural shield, and the effects of x-rays are usually minimized by the time they reach the Earth's surface. The amount of radiation that reaches the surface also depends on the size and altitude of the explosion.

4. How does the interaction between x-rays and the atmosphere differ in space compared to on Earth?

The main difference between x-ray interactions in space and on Earth is the lack of atmosphere. On Earth, the atmosphere absorbs and scatters x-rays, making them less harmful. In space, there is no atmosphere to absorb or scatter the x-rays, so they can travel further and have a greater impact on the atmosphere and objects in orbit.

5. Are there any precautions in place for a nuclear explosion in space?

There are several international treaties and agreements in place to regulate the use of nuclear weapons in space. Additionally, countries that conduct nuclear tests in space are required to provide advance notification and share data with other countries. There are also efforts to develop technologies to detect and mitigate the effects of a nuclear explosion in space.