Find all solutions of the equation 3sin^2x-7sinx+2=0

• Thread starter tennistudof09
  • Start date
In summary, there are two solutions to sin x = 1/3 in the interval [0, 2pi]. One solution is sin x = 1/3 and the other is sin x = -2.
tennistudof09
Find all solutions of the equation 3sin^2x-7sinx+2=0 in the interval [0,2pi).

I factored it out first and got (3sinx-1)(sinx+2)=0 and then solved, and got sinx=1/3 and sinx=-2 if I did it correctly. What i am having trouble with is finding where sin(x)=1/3 and -2.

Physics news on Phys.org
One of your factors is incorrect.

In your interval [0, 2pi) there are two solutions to sin x = 1/3. Your calculator will give you one of them, and you'll need an identity to figure out the other one.

To solve sin x = - 2 (which is incorrect for this problem), first think about the range of the sine function.

You factored incorrectly. That should be (3sinx-1)(sinx-2)=0

So sin x = 1/3 and 2

Take the sine inverse of the two.
Sin x = 2. csc 30 = 2 so sin- (1/2) = x. x=30 degrees or pi/6 rad.
sin x = 1/3. sin- (1/3)=x. x=19.47 degrees or .34pi.

That's what I would've done but I'm not sure if that was correct or not, so don't base your work on my steps.

If it were correct, one should be able to find the solutions to the equation from there. Recall that sine is only positive in quadrant 1 and 2.

Last edited:
Anakin_k said:
Sin x = 2. csc 30 = 2 so sin- (1/2) = x. x=30 degrees or pi/6 rad.
So are you saying here that sin(30 deg.) = 2?
Anakin_k said:
sin x = 1/3. sin- (1/3)=x. x=19.47 degrees or .34pi.
The measure of the angle is not .34 pi. That would be a little over 1 radian, which is way bigger than 19+ degrees.

Sorry, I didn't mean .34 pi. I just meant .34 rad.

And as for the sin(30) = 2, likely no. That's why I said to him to not base his work on my steps. I was hoping someone would correct it and I'd learn something new. I just recall something about cot x = a. tan x = (1/a) x = tan- (1/a). I guess that's where I derived it from but yes, it would still be incorrect and that is why I said what I said. But come to think of it, that wouldn't be possible as the opposite side can not be longer than the hypotenuse.

Last edited:

1. What is the process for solving this equation?

The process for solving this equation involves factoring, using the quadratic formula, or solving for the roots using trigonometric identities.

2. How many solutions does this equation have?

This equation has two solutions.

3. Can you use a graphing calculator to find the solutions?

Yes, a graphing calculator can be used to find the solutions of this equation by graphing the equation and finding the x-intercepts.

4. Are there any special cases to consider when solving this equation?

Yes, when solving for the roots using trigonometric identities, it is important to consider the domain of the trigonometric functions to determine the extraneous solutions.

5. Can this equation be solved analytically?

Yes, this equation can be solved analytically by using algebraic techniques or by using trigonometric identities to simplify the equation and solve for the roots.