Percent uncertainty in the volume of a spherical beach ball

In summary, The percent uncertainty in the volume of a spherical beach ball with a radius of r = 3.86 ± 0.08 m is 6%. This can be found by using the formula (uncertainty)/(value) x 100, where the uncertainty is (max. - min.)/2 and the value is the calculated volume using V = (4/3)πr^3.
Anamoly
Question is : What is the percent uncertainty in the volume of a spherical beach ball whose radius is r = 3.86 ± 0.08 m ?

The answer is 6 % , but I am not getting that, I am pretty sure I am on the right path, I found the volume of the ball using V = (4 x 3.14 x r^3) / 3

Btw, I am pretty sure you need to take into account the ± .08m for 3.86 when you find radius. I got 3.94 and 3.78 Radius's. But I still don't see how I can get 6 %. Heres the percent uncertainty formula. (uncertainty)/(value) x 100

Maybe I am on the wrong track, please help me through this problem, I am new to Physics and a little rusty on my math, so any pointers are greatly appreciated.

Thanks
-Anamoly

Physics news on Phys.org
If you get in trouble with these questions, one idiot p-proof method is to work out the volume: with a) the measured value, b) the maximum value, c) the minimum value, then by comapring the volumes the uncertainty is obvious.

a) V=240
b) V=256
c) V=226

Please point out the obvious.

(I know the answer, I just want some help how to find it.)

(max. - min.)/2 then just divide and mutiply by 100 to get the answer in percent.

Last edited:
?
Here is how you do it:

[tex] uncertainty = \frac{V_{u}- V_{e}}{V_{e}} * 100 [/tex]

[tex] uncertainty = \frac{256 - 240}{240} * 100 [/tex]

[tex] uncertainty = 6.66 [/tex]

Does that answer your question.

Last edited:
there we go, sorry for all of the posts, I had a big error, the answer is 3 posts up.

[tex]V=\frac{4}{3} \pi r^3[/tex]

[tex]dV=\frac{4}{3}(3r^2) \pi[/tex]

[tex]dV=\frac{4}{3}(44.6988) \pi \times (0.08)=14.97971165[/tex]

[tex]\frac{14.97971165}{256} \times 100 = 5.8[/tex]

Do you realize this thread is more than 4 years old...?

russ_watters said:

Russ - "what happens online, STAYS online..." apparently forever. That's the beauty & the curse of the medium.

russ_watters said:

woah, I am completely sorry.
I was just searching in Google and found this. I didn't realize that it would be that old.
BTW, people who were searching like me now know the answer.

Raza said:
[tex]V=\frac{4}{3} \pi r^3[/tex]

[tex]dV=\frac{4}{3}(3r^2) \pi[/tex]

[tex]dV=\frac{4}{3}(44.6988) \pi \times (0.08)=14.97971165[/tex]

[tex]\frac{14.97971165}{256} \times 100 = 5.8[/tex]

I agree with that!

6 years later and still useful.

Almost 7 years later and we just did this problem in class! Still useful.

What is percent uncertainty in the volume of a spherical beach ball?

Percent uncertainty in the volume of a spherical beach ball is a measure of the potential error or variability in the calculated volume of the ball. It takes into account the accuracy and precision of the measurements used to determine the volume.

How is percent uncertainty in the volume of a spherical beach ball calculated?

Percent uncertainty in the volume of a spherical beach ball is calculated by taking the absolute uncertainty (the margin of error) and dividing it by the measured volume, then multiplying by 100 to get a percentage. This calculation is typically done using the formula (uncertainty/volume) x 100.

What factors contribute to the percent uncertainty in the volume of a spherical beach ball?

The factors that contribute to the percent uncertainty in the volume of a spherical beach ball include the precision of the measuring instrument, the skill and technique of the person taking the measurements, and any external factors that may affect the measurement such as environmental conditions or the properties of the beach ball itself.

Why is it important to consider percent uncertainty in the volume of a spherical beach ball?

Percent uncertainty in the volume of a spherical beach ball is important because it gives us an idea of the potential error or variability in our calculated volume. By understanding the uncertainty, we can determine the reliability and accuracy of our measurements and make more informed decisions based on the data.

How can we reduce percent uncertainty in the volume of a spherical beach ball?

To reduce percent uncertainty in the volume of a spherical beach ball, we can take multiple measurements using precise instruments, improve our measurement techniques, and minimize any external factors that may affect the measurement. Additionally, using more advanced mathematical techniques and analysis can also help to reduce uncertainty in the volume calculation.