No difference between covectors and functions?

In summary, the author is discussing the similarities and differences between functions and covectors in terms of their structure and behavior. They explain that covectors are linear functions, while functions are not, and that the two have different implications for mathematics.
mordechai9
I'm reading into an introductory book on manifolds (Tu) and they start out by showing vectors are isomorphic to derivations at a point. They go on to introduce covectors, k-tensors, and then I've just gotten to the point where they introduce the "d" operator which constructs a 1-form from a continuous function.

It seems like vectors in R^n can be interpreted isomorphically as points in R^n (though I haven't tried to prove it.) This suggests that there is really no difference between functions (R^n --> R) and covectors, and so I feel a little bit confused or unsure about things. Is this just a fluke for this specific type of k-tensor (i.e., the covector) or am I interpreting things incorrectly?

Physics news on Phys.org
You're correct in a certain sense, but I'm not quite sure I see the benefit of the identification. If you're working on n-dimensional Euclidean space, the base space, the tangent space at a point, and the cotangent space at a point are all diffeomorphic (i.e. we can treat them all as points in R^n).

But it's certainly not the same as functions from R^n to R - this is infinite dimensional no matter how you look at it.

Covectors are linear functions, and therefore must be defined on a vector space. If you have a function on a manifold M, then applying the d operator to that function will give you a covector in each of the tangent spaces TpM.

In your example you have a space Rn. A function on Rn is arbitrary, and does not need to respect the linear structure of Rn, whereas a covector on Rn has to be a linear function on the space of tangent vectors, which in this case is isomorphic to Rn as you said. (a vector space and its dual space are isomorphic as vector spaces.)

Any finite-dimensional vector space is isomorphic to its dual. However, in the infinite-dimensional case, the dual space might be strictly larger than the original vector space.

Ahh ok, I think I am understanding, especially the post from dx gets to the heart of my confusion. I forgot that regular functions don't have to be linear, whereas the covectors (or generally k-tensors) are supposed to be multilinear by definition. Thanks a lot.

1. What is a covector?

A covector is a mathematical object that is used to map vectors to real numbers. It is a linear functional that operates on a vector and produces a scalar value.

2. What is a function?

A function is a mathematical concept that describes the relationship between an input and an output. It takes in one or more inputs and produces an output based on a set of rules or equations.

3. How are covectors and functions related?

Covectors and functions are related in that they both map inputs to outputs. However, covectors specifically operate on vectors, while functions can operate on a variety of inputs such as numbers, vectors, matrices, etc.

4. Can a function be considered a covector?

Yes, a function can be considered a covector if it follows the properties of a covector. This means that it must be linear and produce a scalar value when operating on a vector.

5. Why is there no difference between covectors and functions?

There is no difference between covectors and functions because they both have the same mathematical properties and can be used interchangeably in many cases. This is known as the duality between covectors and vectors.