Path integral applied to circular path

In summary, the problem is asking for the transit time of a bead falling under the influence of gravity along a path given by the equation (x-1)^2 + (y-1)^2 = 1, connecting points A(0,1) and B(1,0) in the xy-plane. The bead's velocity is given by v = √2gy, where g is the gravitational constant. To calculate the transit time, the given curve must be parametrized, such as with the equations x-1 = cosθ and y-1 = sinθ. However, the chosen parametrization does not yield the correct coordinates for points A and B.
symmetric

Homework Statement

Consider path given by equation [itex] ( x - 1 )^2 + ( y - 1 ) ^2 = 1 [/itex] that connect the points
A = ( 0 , 1 ) and B = ( 1 , 0 ) in xy plane ( shown in image attached ).
A bead falling under influence of gravity from a point A to point B along a curve is given by -

[tex] T = \int \frac{dt}{v}[/tex]

where the bead's velocity is [itex] v = \sqrt{2gy}[/itex] , where g is the gravitational constant.

Homework Equations

[itex] ( x - 1 )^2 + ( y - 1 ) ^2 = 1 [/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Given curve [itex] ( x - 1 )^2 + ( y - 1 ) ^2 = 1 [/itex] can be parametrized as -

[itex] x - 1 = \cos\Theta [/itex]
[itex] y - 1 = \sin\Theta [/itex]

curve can be written as

[itex] c( \Theta) = ( 1 + \cos\Theta , 1 + \sin\Theta )[/itex]
[itex] c'( \Theta) = ( - \sin\Theta , \cos\Theta ) [/itex]
[itex] \left| c'( \Theta) \right| = 1 [/itex]

From given relation we have -

[tex]T = \int \frac{dt}{v}[/tex]

[tex]T = \int_{c} \frac{ \left| c'( \Theta) \right| d\Theta}{ \sqrt{2gy}} [/tex]

[tex]T = \int_{\pi}^{ \frac{3\pi}{2}} \frac{d\Theta}{ \sqrt{2g( 1 + \sin\Theta)}} [/tex]

[tex] As, 1 + \sin\Theta = \left( \cos\frac{\Theta}{2} + \sin\frac{\Theta}{2} \right) ^2 [/tex]

[tex]T = \frac{1}{ \sqrt{2g}} \int_{\pi}^{\frac{3\pi}{2}} \frac{d\Theta}{ \cos\frac{\Theta}{2} + \sin\frac{\Theta}{2}} [/tex]

Changing variables ,

[tex] \frac{\theta}{2} = x , d\Theta = 2 dx [/tex]

[tex]T = \frac{1}{ \sqrt{2g}} \int_{\frac{\pi}{2}}^{\frac{3\pi}{4}} \frac{ 2 dx }{ \cos x + \sin x } [/tex]

[tex] As, \sin\frac{\pi}{4} = \cos\frac{\pi}{4} = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} [/tex]

multiplying Nr and Dr by [itex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} [/itex]

[tex]T = \frac{1}{\sqrt{g}} \int_{\frac{\pi}{2}}^{\frac{3\pi}{4}} \frac{dx}{ \sin\frac{\pi}{4}\cos x + \cos\frac{\pi}{4} \sin x }[/tex]

[tex]T = \frac{1}{\sqrt{g}} \int_{ \frac{\pi}{2} } ^ {\frac{3\pi}{4}} \frac{dx} { \sin\left( x + \frac{\pi}{4} \right) } [/tex]

[tex]T = \frac{1}{\sqrt{g}} \int_{\frac{\pi}{2}}^{\frac{3\pi}{4}} \csc \left( x + \frac{\pi}{4} \right) dx[/tex]

[tex]T = \frac{1}{\sqrt{g}} \left| \ln \left[ \tan \left( \frac{ x + \frac{\pi}{4} } {2} } \right) \right] \right |_{\frac{\pi}{2}}^{\frac{3\pi}{4}} [/tex]

The value of first term after limit substitution is infinity. Here the value of integral i.e. ' time ' should be strictly finite. What is wrong with my solution?

Attachments

• marsden_problem.JPG
    marsden_problem.JPG
    7.1 KB · Views: 406
Physics news on Phys.org
symmetric said:

Homework Statement

Consider path given by equation [itex] ( x - 1 )^2 + ( y - 1 ) ^2 = 1 [/itex] that connect the points
A = ( 0 , 1 ) and B = ( 1 , 0 ) in xy plane ( shown in image attached ).
A bead falling under influence of gravity from a point A to point B along a curve is given by -

[tex]T = \int \frac{dt}{v}[/tex]

where the bead's velocity is [itex]v = \sqrt{2gy}[/itex], where g is the gravitational constant.
"A bead is given by T=..." doesn't really make sense.

The problem is the integral you started with is wrong. You want a time, but if you check the units of the integral, you get time/(distance/time) = time2/distance.

What does t have to do with the curve?

Welcome to PF!

Hi symmetric! Welcome to PF! :smile:

(have a theta: θ and a pi: π and a square-root: √ and try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)

Nooo … your own notation is bad, and you've misunderstood the question's notation. :redface:

i] never use t for a distance parameter, use s (or x etc)

ii] you don't need to use the usual θ (starting with θ = 0 along the positive x-axis) … you can choose any distance parameter, so you may as well start with θ = 0 at A, going to θ = π/2 at B

iii] the y in the given formula, √2gy, is not the y-coordinate, it's the difference in height (so at A it's 0).

Try again. :smile:

Hurkyl said:
tiny-tim said:
D'oh! I just assumed t stood for time. Just ignore my earlier post. :blushing:

@vela @Hurkyl @tiny-tim

Thanks for your reply.

To clear confusion of variable 't' attaching original problem snapshot.

Hurkyl said:

From my understanding of given question it's distance traveled along circular path ( specifically for above problem ) .

tiny-tim said:

ii] you don't need to use the usual θ (starting with θ = 0 along the positive x-axis) … you can choose any distance parameter, so you may as well start with θ = 0 at A, going to θ = π/2 at B

iii] the y in the given formula, √2gy, is not the y-coordinate, it's the difference in height (so at A it's 0).

Try again. :smile:

i] i generally don't use 't' for distance but given problem follows that notation .

ii] and iii] But we have to calculate transit time T for bead traveling along path given ( part of circle ). The given formula [itex] \sqrt{2gy}[/itex] is valid for any path ( circular, straight line etc ) with same start and end point. Hence, given curve must be parametrized in order to get transit time T along specific path. If we chose the parametrization mentioned by me, then [itex] \Theta = 0 [/itex] and [itex]\Theta = \frac{\pi}{2}[/itex] will not leads to co-ordinates A(0,1) and B(1,0).

Attachments

• Screenshot_modified.png
    Screenshot_modified.png
    43.2 KB · Views: 378

1. What is the path integral applied to a circular path?

The path integral applied to a circular path is a mathematical tool used in quantum mechanics to calculate the probability of a particle moving from one point on a circle to another. It takes into account all possible paths that the particle could take and sums them up to find the most likely path.

2. How is the path integral applied to a circular path calculated?

The path integral is calculated by breaking the circular path into small segments and then summing up the contributions of each segment. This is known as discretization. The more segments we use, the more accurate the calculation becomes.

3. What does the path integral applied to a circular path tell us?

The path integral applied to a circular path tells us the probability that a particle will travel along a specific path from one point on the circle to another. It also provides information about the energy and momentum of the particle along the path.

4. What are the applications of the path integral applied to a circular path?

The path integral applied to a circular path has many applications in physics, particularly in quantum mechanics and statistical mechanics. It is used to calculate the behavior of particles in complex systems and to understand the behavior of quantum objects.

5. Are there any limitations to the path integral applied to a circular path?

The path integral applied to a circular path is a powerful tool, but it does have some limitations. It is often difficult to calculate analytically and requires complex mathematical methods. It also assumes that the particle follows a well-defined path, which may not always be the case in quantum systems.