Converting Distance- Time Graph to Velocity- Time

In summary, Daniel found the correct slope for calculating the acceleration due to gravity by using the equation of motion given by (1): x=\frac{at^2}{2}.
clamchowder
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,
You've got to bear in mind that your object starts from rest, then begins to travel with a constant acceleration, that is, its equation of motion is dictated by:
(1):[tex]x=\frac{at^2}{2}[/tex]
Therefore:
You can find, a-the acceleration by pasting in what is known(x being D, and t well, is just plain old "t").
Daniel

I didn't think of it that way, but I'll try it out now.

Thanks!

danielakkerma said:
Hi,
You've got to bear in mind that your object starts from rest, then begins to travel with a constant acceleration, that is, its equation of motion is dictated by:
(1):[tex]x=\frac{at^2}{2}[/tex]
Therefore:
You can find, a-the acceleration by pasting in what is known(x being D, and t well, is just plain old "t").
Daniel

I'm still confused on why my slope on my v vs t graph isn't anywhere near 9.80 though.

Distance of Fall (m) .10 .50 1.00 1.70 2.00
Time of Fall (s) .14 .32 . 46 .59 .63
Velocity (D/T) (m/s) .714 1.56 2.17 2.88 3.17

Well, look here:
If the equation is given by [tex]x=\frac{at^2}{2}[/tex], then clearly,
(1):[tex]a=\frac{2x}{t^2}[/tex]
(2) That causes the velocity to become [tex]v=at[/tex]
You're wrong to assume that the slope is simply (D/t). The relationship provided by this equation(1) is parabolic not linear, and you can see that on the first graph they provided you with.
Try computing 'a' with (1). all answers may vary up to ~0.2 and usually center around 10, that's the preferred rounding of 'g' in general.
Daniel

Oh, I'm sorry.
I never considered the fact it wasn't linear, which was stupid...
At first I was confused where the equations came from, but now I realized it was from
v= v_0 +at
y=.5at^2+v_0t

I finally got the right slope!

Thank you :)

1. What is a distance-time graph?

A distance-time graph is a visual representation of the distance traveled by an object over a period of time. The time is typically plotted on the x-axis and the distance on the y-axis. The slope of the line on the graph represents the velocity or speed of the object.

2. How do you convert a distance-time graph to a velocity-time graph?

To convert a distance-time graph to a velocity-time graph, you need to calculate the slope of the line on the distance-time graph. The slope is equal to the change in distance divided by the change in time. This will give you the velocity of the object at each point in time, which can then be plotted on a velocity-time graph.

3. What is the difference between velocity and speed?

Velocity and speed are often used interchangeably, but they are not the same. Velocity is a vector quantity that includes both the speed and direction of an object's motion. Speed, on the other hand, is a scalar quantity that only measures the rate of motion without considering direction.

4. How can you determine the average velocity from a distance-time graph?

The average velocity can be determined by finding the slope of the line connecting two points on the distance-time graph. This is calculated by dividing the change in distance by the change in time between the two points. If the distance-time graph is a straight line, the average velocity will be the same as the slope of the line.

5. How can you use a velocity-time graph to determine the distance traveled?

To determine the distance traveled from a velocity-time graph, you can calculate the area under the curve. This means finding the area of each individual section of the graph (using geometry or calculus) and adding them together. The total area will represent the total distance traveled by the object over the given time period.