System of transcendental equations?

• Thread starter AerospaceEng
  • Start date
  • Tags
    System
In summary, the conversation is about finding theta (0) and W using given equations and a tool on calculators. The person attempted to solve the equations using row operations but forgot to account for the coefficients.
AerospaceEng

Homework Statement

I need to find theta (0) and with that I can find W but I am not sure how to I think I am on the right track but I am stumped now and apparently there's a tool on calculators to help you with finding theta rather than guessing. Here are the given equations

0.5TDAsin0=0
0.866TDA-W=0
0.5TDAcos0=50

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So i did equation 1 minus equation 3 to eliminate 0.5T.. which gave me

sin0-cos0=-50

Is this the right track? can it even equal -50??

0=Theta when placed beside sin and cos, not zero.

Physics news on Phys.org
You used row operations to simplify the system, which is quite all right, but you forgot about the coefficient that was attached to each equation. ;)

1. What is a system of transcendental equations?

A system of transcendental equations is a set of equations that involve transcendental functions, such as logarithms, exponential functions, or trigonometric functions. These types of equations cannot be solved using algebraic methods and require advanced techniques to find solutions.

2. How do you solve a system of transcendental equations?

The most common method for solving a system of transcendental equations is numerical methods, such as Newton's method or the bisection method. These methods involve approximating the solutions by using iterative processes until a desired level of accuracy is reached.

3. What are the applications of systems of transcendental equations?

Systems of transcendental equations are commonly used in various fields of science and engineering, such as physics, chemistry, and electrical engineering. They are used to model complex systems and make predictions about their behavior.

4. Can systems of transcendental equations have multiple solutions?

Yes, a system of transcendental equations can have multiple solutions. In fact, it is common for these types of equations to have multiple solutions, and it may be necessary to use numerical methods to find all of the solutions.

5. Are there any limitations to solving systems of transcendental equations?

Yes, there are some limitations to solving systems of transcendental equations. The accuracy of the solutions depends on the chosen numerical method and the initial guesses for the solutions. Additionally, some systems may not have analytical solutions and can only be approximated numerically.