Summation Question: Subtracting 1, 2^(k-1) & 1/2

• Thread starter mohabitar
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Summation
The rule is that when you bring out a power of 2, the new lower bound will be one less than the original bound. In summary, the conversation discusses how a lower bound can be changed in a summation by bringing out a power of 2 from the summation. The rule is that the new lower bound will be one less than the original bound.
mohabitar
heMwm.png

So what's going on here? Since there is a 2^(k-1), I can subtract one from n and also the index? Thats what it looks like they did. Also, where did they get that 1/2 from?

Physics news on Phys.org
mohabitar said:
heMwm.png

So what's going on here? Since there is a 2^(k-1), I can subtract one from n and also the index? Thats what it looks like they did. Also, where did they get that 1/2 from?

The 1/2=2-1 is simply the term of the summation for which k=-1; by bringing it out of the summation, the lower bound can be changed from k=-1 to k=0

Oh ok..so how is it that we can change the bound? What is the rule for that or steps?

mohabitar said:
Oh ok..so how is it that we can change the bound? What is the rule for that or steps?

Think about it like this:

[tex]\sum\limits_{k = 0}^{n + 1} {{2^{k - 1}}} = {2^{ - 1}} + {2^0} + {2^1} + ... + {2^{n - 1}} + {2^n} = \sum\limits_{k = - 1}^n {{2^k}} [/tex]

Do you see why changing the bounds is valid?

But the bound for the first was n+1, so shouldn't the last term be 2^(n+1) or no?

mohabitar said:
But the bound for the first was n+1, so shouldn't the last term be 2^(n+1) or no?

But remember, the index of 2 is now k-1. So when k=n+1, the index will be (n+1)-1=n

The 1/2=2-1 is simply the term of the summation for which k=-1; by bringing it out of the summation, the lower bound can be changed from k=-1 to k=0
So if my lower bound were 1, I could bring out a 2 and the new index would start from 2? And if the bound were 2, I could bring out a 4 and new bound would be 3?

mohabitar said:
So if my lower bound were 1, I could bring out a 2 and the new index would start from 2? And if the bound were 2, I could bring out a 4 and new bound would be 3?

Yes that's right

1) How do you subtract 1 from a summation?

To subtract 1 from a summation, you simply subtract 1 from each term in the summation. For example, if the summation is 1+2+3+4, subtracting 1 would result in 0+1+2+3.

2) What is the purpose of subtracting 1/2 from a summation?

The purpose of subtracting 1/2 from a summation is to adjust for the starting point of the summation. By subtracting 1/2, the summation will start at 0 instead of 1, which is often more convenient for calculations.

3) How do you subtract 2^(k-1) from a summation?

To subtract 2^(k-1) from a summation, you can either subtract it from each term in the summation or factor it out of the summation. For example, if the summation is 2+4+6+8 and you want to subtract 2^(k-1), you could write it as 2(1+2+3+4) and then subtract 2^(k-1) from each term inside the parentheses.

4) Can you subtract a variable from a summation?

Yes, you can subtract a variable from a summation as long as the variable is defined and follows the rules of summation. For example, if the summation is 3x+6x+9x and you want to subtract 2x, you would simply subtract 2x from each term to get x+4x+7x.

5) Is there a specific order in which the subtraction must be done in a summation?

No, there is no specific order in which the subtraction must be done in a summation. You can subtract the numbers in any order as long as you follow the rules of summation.