How to Rearrange Equations: Solving for Unknown Variables

• Thread starter Eisely
  • Start date
In summary: The whole thing is saying: y/(x+b) = (mx+b)/(x+b). So you're solving for m by dividing by both x+b and x.
Eisely

Homework Statement

I have a page full of questions for my physics class and I've forgotten the basic steps to rearranging formulas. Here are 2 examples of the types of questions I have on my sheet.

Homework Equations

Solve the equation y=mx+b for m.

Solve the equation F=GMm/r^2 for m.

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to remember what to do, and I know it has something to do with doing what you do to one side to the other. So for the first one I just put -x-b+y=m and I am pretty sure it's terribly wrong. For the second i played around and tried m=GM/Fr^2 which I'm also sure is pretty wrong.

I can't find a topic in my text to tell me how to do these operations as its expected that I already know them. IS there an online tool with these rules anywhere? Can you help me figure these two out? I think knowing these I can do the rest.

Physics news on Phys.org
Eisely said:

Homework Statement

I have a page full of questions for my physics class and I've forgotten the basic steps to rearranging formulas. Here are 2 examples of the types of questions I have on my sheet.

Homework Equations

Solve the equation y=mx+b for m.

Solve the equation F=GMm/r^2 for m.

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to remember what to do, and I know it has something to do with doing what you do to one side to the other. So for the first one I just put -x-b+y=m and I am pretty sure it's terribly wrong. For the second i played around and tried m=GM/Fr^2 which I'm also sure is pretty wrong.

I can't find a topic in my text to tell me how to do these operations as its expected that I already know them. IS there an online tool with these rules anywhere? Can you help me figure these two out? I think knowing these I can do the rest.

The main trick is to do the same thing to both sides of the equation, so that the = sign still holds true. Like if I add 1 to both sides of an equation, the = sign still holds true, right?

So you can multiply both sides by the same thing, or divide both sides by the same thing, and the = sign still holds true.

So if you have a = b x, and want to solve for x, what do you divide both sides by to isolate x? Remember that any ratio of a thing to itself is 1, so Z/Z = 1.

Okay, so I would divide both sides by x+b to isolate m, meaning m=y/x+b? and the second would be m=Fr^2/GM?

Last edited:
Eisely said:
Okay, so I would divide both sides by x+b to isolate m, meaning m=y/x+b?

No, that's wrong. Only the x is multiplied by m. The b is added on afterwards. You've got two operations here, so you'll need two steps to isolate the m.

For a hint on one of these steps, note that if
a + b = c,
you can subtract b from both sides and get
a = c - b.

Last edited by a moderator:
"Solve the equation y=mx+b for m."

"Okay, so I would divide both sides by x+b to isolate m, meaning m=y/x+b?"

Dividing both sides by x+b means: y/(x+b) = (mx+b)/(x+b). If the equation had been y = m(x+b) = mx + mb, then you could have isolated m by dividing by (x+b).

Some basic axioms and definitions. For any number, a, the number -a is defined as what you have to add a to get 0, thus a+(-a) = a-a = 0. And 1/a is what you have to multiply a by to get 1, thus a(1/a) = a/a = 1. The notation a2 means aa, and a2/a2 = (aa)/(aa) = (a/a) times (a/a) = 1 times 1 = 1. Multiplication "distributes" over addition according to the rule a(b+c) = ab+ac, and (b+c)a = ba+ca.

The other thing to remember is that what you do to (the whole of) one side of an equation, you should do to (the whole of) the other side, to be sure that the equation is still true.

A little practice playing around with rearranging equations and you'll soon get the hang of it again!

The Khan academy has some great videos. The Arithmetic series covers the basics at a gentle level ( http://www.khanacademy.org/ ).

Last edited:
Oh! I think I get it.

so steps would be

y=mx+b

y-b=mx

y-b/x=m

m=y-b/x

?

I get why x+b isn't 'one term' now.

Eisely said:
y=mx+b

y-b=mx

You got the first step right.

Eisely said:
y-b/x=m

m=y-b/x

?

Not quite. Here you divided the (whole of the) right side by x, so you should have divided the (whole of the) left side by x too, but instead you only divided one of its terms by x.

You're nearly there though... Dividing by x means the same as multiplying by 1/x. So (p+q)/r = 1/r times (p+q), and multiplication "distributes" over addition, so: (p+q)/r = p/r + q/r, which won't always be equal to p+q/r. This works just the same if p or q is negative: (p-q)/r = p/r - q/r, not necessarily equal to p - q/r.

By the way, if you want to test your answers:

http://www.quickmath.com/webMathematica3/quickmath/page.jsp?s1=equations&s2=solve&s3=basic

Last edited:
Yeah, I wasn't clear in my answer but i had y-b all over x.

That website where I could test my answers really helped,

I did all the other questions, tested them and got them all right!

I think I'm finally figuring this stuff out ^.^!

Eisely said:
Yeah, I wasn't clear in my answer but i had y-b all over x.

To avoid that ambiguity, the rule is that if you want to multiply more than one term by some number, you have to use brackets, (p + q)r, or write it out in full as pr + qr. And the same goes for multiplying by 1/r, in other words dividing by r. Thus, (p + q)/r = p/r + q/r. Or if you can write them on two levels:

[tex]\frac{p+q}{r}=\frac{p}{r}+\frac{q}{r}[/tex]

[tex]=(p+q)/r = \frac{1}{r}\left ( p+q \right )=r^{-1}(p+q)[/tex]

[tex]\neq p + \frac{q}{r}[/tex]

Eisely said:
That website where I could test my answers really helped,

I did all the other questions, tested them and got them all right!

I think I'm finally figuring this stuff out ^.^!

Excellent!

1. How can I rearrange an equation to solve for an unknown variable?

To rearrange an equation, you need to isolate the unknown variable on one side of the equation. This can be done by using inverse operations, which means performing the opposite operation on both sides of the equation until the unknown variable is alone on one side.

2. What are the most common inverse operations used in rearranging equations?

The most common inverse operations used in rearranging equations are addition and subtraction, multiplication and division, and raising to a power and taking the root. These operations can be used to undo each other and isolate the unknown variable.

3. Is it possible to rearrange any equation to solve for an unknown variable?

Yes, it is possible to rearrange any equation to solve for an unknown variable as long as the equation follows the rules of algebra. This means that the equation must be balanced and have only one unknown variable.

4. Can I rearrange an equation with multiple unknown variables?

No, you cannot rearrange an equation with multiple unknown variables to solve for a single variable. In order to solve for a specific variable, the equation must have only one unknown variable. If there are multiple unknown variables, you can only simplify the equation but not solve for a specific variable.

5. What is the best way to check if my rearranged equation is correct?

The best way to check if your rearranged equation is correct is to substitute the value of the unknown variable into the original equation and see if it satisfies the equation. If it does, then your rearranged equation is correct. You can also use a calculator to verify the solution.