Combination Probability hopefully an easy one

And if Anne is sharing Q clusters, then the odds of Bob sharing all of Anne's clusters would be 1, since N>Q.
clockwork9
Combination Probability... hopefully an easy one :)

I'm doing some CS homework dealing with the efficiency of BitTorrent. Specifically, I'm dealing with combinations of clusters..

So, say, you have file with 5 clusters {A,B,C,D,E}, and you want to pick 3 of them, you the have a choice of 10 cluster combinations: (5!)/(2!*3!)=10

Now, here's where I'm stuck.. I need to setup and equation for the probability that one (or more) specific cluster is in the group you selected. Let's say you pick one of the 10 combinations, now.. are the odds that cluster A is in the group that you picked?
What are the odds clusters A and B are in the group you picked?

I've simplified this, the problem I'm actually dealing this: Bob and Anne are sharing a file on bittorrent with N cluster. Bob is sharing N cluster, anne is sharing Q clusters. N>Q What are the odds that Bob is sharing all the clusters of Q?

You help is very appreciated!
Jim

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

clockwork9 said:
I'm doing some CS homework dealing with the efficiency of BitTorrent. Specifically, I'm dealing with combinations of clusters..

So, say, you have file with 5 clusters {A,B,C,D,E}, and you want to pick 3 of them, you the have a choice of 10 cluster combinations: (5!)/(2!*3!)=10

Now, here's where I'm stuck.. I need to setup and equation for the probability that one (or more) specific cluster is in the group you selected. Let's say you pick one of the 10 combinations, now.. are the odds that cluster A is in the group that you picked?
What are the odds clusters A and B are in the group you picked?

This is really easy. If you select 3 objects from the set {A,B,C,D,E}, the probability that A is one of those selected is 3/5.

clockwork9 said:
I've simplified this, the problem I'm actually dealing this: Bob and Anne are sharing a file on bittorrent with N cluster. Bob is sharing N cluster, anne is sharing Q clusters. N>Q What are the odds that Bob is sharing all the clusters of Q?

You help is very appreciated!
Jim

Here you lost me. If there are N clusters and Bob is sharing N of them, isn't he sharing ALL the clusters?

1. What is combination probability?

Combination probability is a mathematical concept that calculates the likelihood of a specific combination of events occurring. It is used to determine the probability of obtaining a certain outcome by selecting a number of objects from a larger set without regard to their order.

2. How is combination probability different from permutation probability?

Combination probability and permutation probability are similar concepts, but differ in the way they consider the order of events. Combination probability does not consider the order in which objects are selected, while permutation probability does.

3. What is the formula for calculating combination probability?

The formula for combination probability is nCr = n! / r!(n-r)!, where n represents the total number of objects and r represents the number of objects being selected.

4. Can combination probability be used to predict future events?

No, combination probability only calculates the likelihood of a specific combination of events occurring based on known information. It cannot be used to predict future events as it does not take into account any unknown factors that may influence the outcome.

5. What are some real-world applications of combination probability?

Combination probability has many real-world applications, such as predicting the likelihood of winning a lottery, calculating the chances of receiving certain genetic traits, and determining the probability of getting a specific hand in a card game.