Why cold water instead of hot water for rinsing a jacuzzi tub?

In summary, it is generally recommended to rinse dishwashing liquid and bleach with cold water, rather than hot, to avoid denaturing proteins and creating more volatile chloramines.
ldv1452
This may seem like an odd forum for this question but I couldn't find an answer anywhere else. Why is it always recommended to rinse the dishwashing liquid and bleach with cold water, rather than hot, when cleaning a jacuzzi tub. Doesn't hot water dissolve and rinse better? My guess is energy saving reasons, but I am curious if there is some scientific advantage to using cold water.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
I'm not sure specifically about the jacuzzi situation but in Nursing School we were taught that, when cleaning anything with body fluids you rinse with cold water first and then hot water. Rationale being that higher temperatures can denature proteins and such and may cause them to adhere to surfaces with greater strength (think how fried eggs will stick to a pan). So you rinse with cold and follow up with hot.

Empirically I've found the above method to work very well for cleaning the blender or shaker bottle when I drink protein shakes though I'm not sure how relevant this situation is to the above or your own.

Just a guess: warm or hot water can force water-hardness deposits and buildup over time. Using cold water will help avoid this. Also, if you are using bleach, I imagine any splashing from cold water might be safer than from hot water.

Other guess: bleach and hot water means more chlorine in the air.

Fourth guess. Proteins + bleach = volatile chloramines. More volatile when hot.

If you have ever tried to rinse any foaming agent with hot water you will instantly understand.

Try it in a sink with a spot of ordinary washing up liquid, generate some foam then try to rinse away with hot or cold. The cold 'kills' the suds; the hot enhances them.

I think this and the other explanations here all point the same way. Pretty unusual in life which is normally about the balance between conflicting requirements.

1. Why is cold water recommended for rinsing a jacuzzi tub?

The jets and piping of a jacuzzi tub can become very hot due to the circulation of warm water. Cold water is used to rinse the tub in order to cool down these components and prevent potential damage or overheating.

2. Can I use hot water instead?

It is not recommended to use hot water for rinsing a jacuzzi tub. The hot water can further increase the temperature of the jets and piping, potentially causing damage and reducing the lifespan of the tub.

3. Will using cold water affect the cleanliness of the tub?

No, using cold water for rinsing will not affect the cleanliness of the tub. The use of hot water is typically for comfort and relaxation, not for cleaning purposes.

4. How often should I rinse my jacuzzi tub with cold water?

It is recommended to rinse the jacuzzi tub with cold water after each use. This will help prevent buildup of bacteria and mineral deposits, keeping the tub clean and functioning properly.

5. Are there any other benefits of using cold water for rinsing a jacuzzi tub?

Aside from preventing potential damage and maintaining cleanliness, using cold water for rinsing can also help conserve energy. Hot water requires more energy to heat up, so by using cold water, you are reducing your energy consumption and helping the environment.