Photo Contest - The Green, Green Grass Of Home (1/15-1/21)

In summary, the photo contest has a theme of "The Green, Green Grass Of Home" and encourages participants to capture lush green landscapes in their hometown or surroundings. The contest will be open for submissions from 1/15-1/21, allowing for 7 days to submit. Participants are allowed to submit multiple photos, but can only win one prize. The contest is open to everyone, but some restrictions may apply based on location. The winners will be chosen by a panel of judges and announced on the contest's official website and social media pages.
ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
The Green, Green Grass Of Home

No, I'm not singing a Tom Jones tune, but that phrase makes for a perfect theme this week. Your photo must depict, as its main subject, a lush and green field of grass.

Contest Rules:

1. Any digital photo or digitally-scanned photo relevant to the theme will be accepted within the contest period. In case there's a gray area, or you're not sure if the picture is suitable, check with me first.

2. Please resize your digital photo to no more than 650 x 490 or 490 x 650 pixels. You may also crop your picture if you wish. You are also allowed to adjust the brightness and contrast of your picture but these should not dramatically alter the look of the picture. But other than those, any form of picture editing or modification is not allowed. This is a photo contest, not a picture editing/special effect contest. You may add a watermark or your name/nickname to the photo for identification purposes.

3. Upload your photos to any of the photo servers such as imageshack or photobucket. Then post it the relevant contest thread and link your picture using the img command. PM me if you do not know how.

4. Only ONE picture per member per contest. Once a picture is posted, it cannot be changed other than a total withdrawl by that member from that week's photo contest. Exceptions will be made for modification to comply with the rules, such as resizing.

5. At the end of the contest period, I will open a poll and every PF member can vote for the picture they like best.

6. Note that in case we have a large number of entries, I will do the polling in more than one thread. If that's the case, you can vote in each of the polling threads. The photos will be assigned in the polling threads in the order they were submitted.

7. These pictures must be something that you took, not something taken off someone else's photo albums or taken by someone else. I have no way of checking if you did this, so we'll go by the honor system.

8. You can use a picture only once. Once it is used in a contest, it cannot be reused in another contest.

9. Please post only pictures meant for submission in this thread[/QUOTE]

Zz.

Physics news on Phys.org
This is a tough one! This time of year, a photo of "grass" should be easier to get than a photo of grass...

Will "white, white snow of home" with an incorrect white balance do?

[PLAIN]http://img694.imageshack.us/img694/1097/dsc00069nx.jpg
My home state doesn't have much for lush grass, it is mostly desert, so here's the best I can do.

Last edited by a moderator:
This used to be the view from my office that I would get some time early in the morning.

img2991jd.jpg

Zz.

This one is entitled: "A Blade Grows in Cleveland (You get what you get/and you don't throw a fit)"

[PLAIN]http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/7818/dsc4194g.jpg

Unless I go to a golf course this ranch land is as close as I can come here in AZ.

167qsy9.jpg

marcin_grass_of_home.jpg

The Green, Green Grass On Home.

Home to these geese and their goslings is a lush field that surrounds a farm-pond. The adults are very alert and on guard. They had probably at least 10 goslings, but I never got to see more than a few at a time through this tall grass.

cangeese_con.jpg

marzena_grass.jpg

sheesh... everyone lives in a nicer place than I do...

Andy Resnick said:
That farm-pond is just a few miles from here. It's a dairy farm and they manure their fields and hay them. The farmer is nice enough not to take early crops of hay off the field around the pond because it is wonderful cover for the geese. Once the little ones can fly, then he'll cut hay there.

Andy Resnick said:

Do I sound like someone living in a northern Norway?

[PLAIN]http://img37.imageshack.us/img37/2534/63243291.jpg

:biggrin:

Not home, not all that green and not such a good photo but I thought the sky, in parts, came out not all that bad :shy: as grey skies go.

sbhlrq.jpg

turbo-1 said:
That farm-pond is just a few miles from here. It's a dairy farm and they manure their fields and hay them. The farmer is nice enough not to take early crops of hay off the field around the pond because it is wonderful cover for the geese. Once the little ones can fly, then he'll cut hay there.

Borek said:
Do I sound like someone living in a northern Norway?

All I know is, I see sunny skies and panoramic views. The pic I took was the first sunny day since early December, and the sun hasn't been back since.

Maybe I'll sacrifice some students...

Andy Resnick said:
All I know is, I see sunny skies and panoramic views. The pic I took was the first sunny day since early December, and the sun hasn't been back since.

Maybe I'll sacrifice some students...
Hmmm. I see the problem. You don't have to take your contest entry during the contest. :devil:

Borek said:
The Green, Green Grass On Home.

If that's not the green grass of home, or atleast the green grass on a home I don't know what is. Great pic borek. :smile:

Last few hours to submit a photo for this week's contest.

Zz.

turbo-1 said:
Hmmm. I see the problem. You don't have to take your contest entry during the contest. :devil:

I only got my camera 5 months ago! I have no 'back catalog'...

1. What is the theme of the photo contest?

The theme of the photo contest is "The Green, Green Grass Of Home." This theme encourages participants to capture images of the natural beauty of their hometown or home surroundings, specifically focusing on lush green landscapes.

2. How long will the photo contest be open for submissions?

The photo contest will be open for submissions from 1/15-1/21, which is a total of 7 days.

3. Can I submit more than one photo to the contest?

Yes, participants are allowed to submit multiple photos to the contest. However, each participant can only win one prize.

4. Who is eligible to participate in the photo contest?

The photo contest is open to everyone, regardless of age or location. However, some restrictions may apply depending on the rules and regulations of your country or state.

5. How will the winners be chosen?

The winners will be chosen by a panel of judges, who will evaluate the submissions based on creativity, originality, and adherence to the theme. The winners will be announced on the photo contest's official website and social media pages.