Anyone familiar with Mathematica?

• Thread starter MissJina
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mathematica
So, x = pi/4 is the only solution. For the second one, you are on the right track with finding the slope and the tangent line. To plot it, you need to use the "plot" function and input both the parabola and the tangent line as separate functions with the same x range. The error message you are getting is because you only input one function, but the "plot" function expects two. In summary, to solve the first question, x = pi/4. For the second question, use the "plot" function to plot both the parabola and tangent line with the same x range. Remember to label the graph and tangent line correctly.
MissJina
I have 2 questions:

1. Solve sin x + cos x =Sqrt2, 0 lessthanequalto x lessthanequalto pi/2.

I can't figure out how to input this question into Mathematica...

2. Find the equation of the tangent to the curve y = x^2+1 at the point (2,4) and plot both the tangent and the graph on the same rectangular frame. Label the parabola curve as y=x^2 and the tangent line by its equation.

So for this I have so far...

input f[x_]:=x^2+1
input m[x_]:=D[f[x]]
input m[2]
then it gave me the output 5
input y-4=m[2](x-2)
output 5(-2+x)
input T=m[2](x-2)+4
output 4+5(-2+x)

and now I'm trying to plot it by...

input Plot[{T,x^2}{x,-5,5}]

but it won't plot for some reason and I get an error msg saying " Plot::argr: Plot called with 1 argument; 2 arguments are expected.

I have no clue what this means...is anyone here that knows how to use Mathematica!??!? Please helpppppp :D Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
You don't need Mathematica for the first one if you remember that sin(pi/4) = cos(pi/4) = sqrt(2)/2.

What is Mathematica and what can it be used for?

Mathematica is a powerful software program used for mathematical and scientific computations. It can also be used for data analysis, visualization, and programming.

Is Mathematica difficult to learn and use?

Mathematica has a steep learning curve, but it offers a user-friendly interface and extensive documentation to help users get started. With practice, it can be a valuable tool for scientific research and data analysis.

Can Mathematica be integrated with other programming languages?

Yes, Mathematica has the ability to interface with other programming languages such as Python, Java, and C++, allowing for more flexibility and customization in scientific computing and data analysis.

What are some notable features of Mathematica?

Mathematica has a wide range of features, including symbolic and numerical computation, visualization tools, data analysis capabilities, and the ability to create interactive documents and presentations. It also has a large library of built-in functions for various mathematical and scientific tasks.

How is Mathematica used in scientific research?

Mathematica can be used in various fields of scientific research, such as physics, chemistry, biology, and engineering. It is particularly useful for data analysis, modeling, and simulations, and has been used in a wide range of research projects and publications.