Noob here, needing to be guided to a career.

In summary, the person is seeking advice on what major to choose based on their interests in math and science. They have already completed an associates degree in science and are considering pursuing a physics BS or an engineering field. They also mention enjoying paper-based experiments and not being interested in mechanical engineering. They are looking for a job that combines their interests and skills and are open to starting with introductory classes and gaining experience in a lab setting.
GonzalesD25
Hey guys,

I've been lurking here for a while and I'm ready to ask you more experienced folks for help about what major I should go with.

I don't like talking about myself much, but I guess it's appropriate if anyone wants to contribute.
I love math, top of my calculus class now. Just got an associates degree (science, focusing on accounting). I think, however, science is more admirable and would prefer to use my math skills there.

These things said, I should also include my home experiments, I enjoy:
- Using a laser pointer for geometric type purposes, recently finding how light bounces off a cylindrical mirror.
- Calculating average speed in day to day life
- Calculating ft^2 of my floors at home
- Making a model of how a little "invention" would work, pulleys and string

*I haven't taken a physics class since high school, so this is all I have to go on also.

I should point out, I enjoyed doing all these things on paper most, and I'm not sure I'd actually enjoy doing them with my hands. Secondly, I don't find engines very interesting so I'm a bit cautious about going into mechanical engineering (the major all my friends are talking about.)

Lastly, which should go without saying, but I want a likely chance I'll get a job doing something I like, which is why I don't want to go for pure math or a "Sell! Sell! Sell!" business type atmosphere.

So what do you think is the best option for me?

And more specifically, is there a good chance of getting a job with a physics BS?

Is it better in your opinion to choose an engineering field? (and which one do you suggest?)

I know my information might be vague, but thank you all in advance for any advice you give.

Physics news on Phys.org
Just become a straight scientist. That's what I'm thinking of doing.

1) Nice thread title.

2) Just start off with some intro classes and try to work as an assistant in some lab or something to see if you like it. If you dont, I mean there are plenty of jobs where you can just sit in front of a computer.

WatermelonPig said:
1) Nice thread title.

2) Just start off with some intro classes and try to work as an assistant in some lab or something to see if you like it. If you dont, I mean there are plenty of jobs where you can just sit in front of a computer.

1) Thanks, I thought it was only fitting :tongue2:

2) That sounds reasonable, since neither of us has a crystal ball. Now for a job sitting in front of a computer (supposing you mean calculating or perhaps making models), did you mean in an engineering field?

Hello there, it's great to see that you are interested in pursuing a career in science. Based on your interests and skills, it seems like you would be a great fit for a career in physics or engineering. Both of these fields involve a lot of math and problem-solving, which you seem to excel in.

As for which major to choose, it really depends on what you are most interested in. If you enjoy the theoretical aspect of science and prefer working with numbers and calculations, then a physics major might be a good fit for you. On the other hand, if you enjoy applying scientific principles to real-world problems and working with your hands, then an engineering major might be more suitable.

In terms of job prospects, both physics and engineering offer a wide range of career opportunities. With a physics degree, you could work in research, academia, or even in the private sector in fields such as technology, finance, or data analysis. Similarly, with an engineering degree, you could work in various industries such as aerospace, energy, or healthcare.

It's also worth considering that many engineering programs offer a broad foundation in math and science, so you may have the opportunity to explore different areas within engineering before choosing a specific field of study. This could help you determine which engineering field you are most interested in.

Ultimately, the best option for you will depend on your personal interests and career goals. I would suggest researching both physics and engineering programs at different universities to get a better understanding of the coursework and career opportunities available. You could also consider talking to professors or professionals in both fields to gain more insight before making a decision.

I wish you all the best in your academic and career journey!

What is the first step in choosing a career?

The first step in choosing a career is to assess your skills and interests. This can be done through self-reflection, taking career assessments, or seeking guidance from a career counselor.

What resources are available for career guidance?

There are many resources available for career guidance, including career counselors, online career assessments, informational interviews with professionals in your desired field, and career fairs.

Should I choose a career based on salary or passion?

It is important to consider both salary and passion when choosing a career. While a high salary may be appealing, it is also important to find a career that you are passionate about and will bring you fulfillment in the long run.

How can I gain experience in a particular field?

You can gain experience in a particular field by volunteering, interning, or taking on part-time jobs related to your desired career. Networking and informational interviews can also help you gain insights and connections in your desired field.

Is it possible to change careers later on?

Yes, it is possible to change careers later on in life. Many people switch careers multiple times throughout their lives. It is important to continuously assess your interests and skills and make changes when necessary to find a fulfilling career.