Polya and Szego Problems in Analysis?

• Thread starter ArcanaNoir
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Analysis
In summary, the conversation discusses the book "Problems and Theorems in Analysis" by Polya and Szego and its use for solving problems in analysis. The speaker's professor is a fan of the book and wants them to solve problems from it. They ask if anyone else thinks it is a good book and express their desire for validation in using it. Another person in the conversation mentions that they just bought the book and it seems challenging and suitable for self-study.
ArcanaNoir
So, my prof is fond of Polya, and would like to see me solve some problems from Polya and Szego's "problems and theorems in analysis". So, does anyone else think this is a spiffy book? I dunno, I guess I just want to feel like I'm not the only one using it.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
ArcanaNoir said:
So, my prof is fond of Polya, and would like to see me solve some problems from Polya and Szego's "problems and theorems in analysis". So, does anyone else think this is a spiffy book? I dunno, I guess I just want to feel like I'm not the only one using it.

By coincidence, I just bought this book today (volume 1, anyway). I haven't tried any of the problems, but I've flipped through it and it looks nice and challenging so far. All the solutions, or at least hints, are included, so it should be good for self-study.

1. What are Polya and Szego Problems in Analysis?

Polya and Szego Problems in Analysis refer to two open problems in complex analysis that were posed by mathematicians George Polya and George Szego in the early 20th century. These problems involve finding the optimal bounds for certain mathematical functions and have been the subject of much research and discussion in the mathematical community.

2. Why are these problems important?

These problems are important because they have connections to various branches of mathematics, such as number theory, probability, and harmonic analysis. They also have practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science.

3. What is the current status of these problems?

Both Polya and Szego Problems are still open and unsolved. However, there have been significant developments and progress made towards finding solutions, with many mathematicians contributing their insights and approaches to the problems.

4. What are some notable attempts to solve these problems?

Several notable mathematicians have attempted to solve these problems, including Paul Erdös, Peter Jones, and Jean Bourgain. In 2010, Terence Tao made a breakthrough in the Szego problem, providing a solution for a special case of the problem.

5. What are some resources for learning more about these problems?

There are various books and research articles available that discuss Polya and Szego Problems in Analysis in depth. Additionally, there are online resources such as lecture notes, video lectures, and problem-solving sessions that can provide a deeper understanding of these problems and their solutions.