Calculate the total amount of strain at fracture?

In summary, the question asks for the total amount of strain at fracture and the recoverable strain in a material. Strain is calculated by dividing the change in length by the initial length. The material a fractured at 3% and material b at 15%. To convert the strain from percentage form to a numerical value, it must be divided by 100. The strain at yield point is also given, which is approximately 5-6% and is the amount of recoverable strain. However, it is possible that the questions may be incorrect in their use of defining strain in percentage form.
TyErd

Homework Statement

The question is: calculate the total amount of strain at fracture? How much of this is recoverable strain? Explain your answer

Homework Equations

strain = (change in length)/ (initial length)

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure about my answer but i just simply read of the graph.
material a - 3%
material b - 15%

but that's in percentage form, how would I get the actual strain?

Attachments

• 2323232.png
    2323232.png
    10.1 KB · Views: 2,950
Physics news on Phys.org

TyErd said:

Homework Statement

The question is: calculate the total amount of strain at fracture? How much of this is recoverable strain? Explain your answer

Homework Equations

material a - 3%
material b - 15%

Strain is [change in length] / [length] is it not?

If that fraction is multiplied by 100 does it make it percentage strain?

yeah it does. but what is the change in length. the final length is the fracture but is the initial length that you use to find change of length?

TyErd said:
yeah it does. but what is the change in length. the final length is the fracture but is the initial length that you use to find change of length?

When you exceed the elastic limit of a piece of steel, it deforms, but is still steel.

The amount of strain up to the elastic limit is how much you get back out of the material - even if the sample is fractured.
You do not always get it back in a useful form, but the strain energy put in, does come back out.

EDIT: Not sure why you changed from strain [in the question] to Length??

Okay so the answer to the second part of the question is simply the yield strength. But the first part where it asks to calculate the strain at fracture confuses me. for material a, the stress at fracture is 3%. what do i do with that?

TyErd said:
Okay so the answer to the second part of the question is simply the yield strength. But the first part where it asks to calculate the strain at fracture confuses me. for material a, the stress at fracture is 3%. what do i do with that?

Actually for the fist sample, the stain at fracture is 3%, the stress was 300 odd if I recall correctly

Once you have found the fracture point, reading from one axis will give you the stress at fracture - which is also called strength - while the other axis will tell you the strain at the time.

If you look at (b) and find the yield point, that will tell you the stress at yield point, which I believe is called the yield strength and strain at the time can be found from the other axis.

Strain energy was not part of this question - but may be coming into your thoughts.

The area under the stress strain curve gives you the strain energy per unit volume absorbed by the material. The larger the area the tougher the material.
If we consider the area under the graph only as far as the yield point, then the greater the area, the more resilient the material - the energy it absorbs but is still able to spring back.

With sample (b) the amount of strain energy coming back after fracture is approximately the same as that absorbed up to yield point - all the energy absorbed during deformation is gone for good.

TyErd said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

material a - 3%
material b - 15%

Any chance you were actually after strain energy, not merely strain as you stated?

I'm pretty sure its just strain.

TyErd said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

material a - 3%
material b - 15%

If you want strain not as a percentage, I think it is just 0.03 and 0.15 in each case.

For part 2 the strain at yield is something like 5% or 6% - i can't look at the graph and type this at the same time - and that is what is recoverable.

I have this exact issue too. In my physics questions (A-level) often in a stress/strain graph the strain is given in percent. My teacher has never mentioned that this changes anything, but surely if:

stress (e.g. 0.02[no units])= extension (e.g. 0.1m)/original length(e.g. 5m)

I understand that m/m gives no units, but if stress is given in percentage form (as it seems to often be), the strain would equal 0.02*100=2%?

Hence when i read the value of strain (e.g. 2%) i should first divide by 100 to get the actual value? (as peter0 suggests)

However, what if the original equation was extension 5m and original length 100m? Then the strain "strain is a measure of how much an object is being stretched" must be invariably be in percentage "A fraction with 100 understood as the denominator", equalling 5% - in this case to then divide the answer by 100 would be incorrect. I therefore suspect that the questions i have been doing are incorrect in their useage of defining strain in %.

Any feedback would be appreciated, sorry for taking over the thread :]

-Tom (AS physics student)

Last edited:

1. What is strain at fracture?

Strain at fracture is a measure of the deformation or elongation a material undergoes before it ultimately breaks or fractures. It is typically expressed as a percentage of the original length or size of the material.

2. How is strain at fracture calculated?

To calculate strain at fracture, you need to know the original length or size of the material (L0) and its final length or size at the point of fracture (Lf). The formula for strain at fracture is (Lf - L0)/L0 x 100%. This will give you the percentage of deformation or elongation the material experienced before breaking.

3. What factors can affect strain at fracture?

Strain at fracture can be affected by various factors such as the type and properties of the material, the magnitude and direction of the applied force, and the temperature and environment in which the material is tested. Other factors like surface defects, impurities, and processing techniques can also impact the strain at fracture.

4. Why is it important to calculate strain at fracture?

Calculating strain at fracture is important because it helps us understand the behavior of materials under stress and how much they can deform before breaking. This information is crucial in engineering and design, as it allows us to select the right materials for specific applications and ensure their safety and reliability.

5. Are there any limitations to calculating strain at fracture?

Yes, there are some limitations to calculating strain at fracture. The formula assumes that the material is homogeneous and the deformation is uniform throughout its entire length. In reality, materials can have non-uniform properties and experience localized deformations, which may affect the accuracy of the calculated strain at fracture. Additionally, other factors like strain rate, loading history, and specimen geometry can also influence the results.