Calculus 2 - Infinite Series Question - Estimating Series with Positive Terms

In summary, the problem is asking to find an upper bound for the remainder of the given series in terms of n. This can be done using the formula R_n = S - S_n, where R_n is the remainder, S is the exact value of the series, and S_n is the sum of the first n terms of the series. The upper bound for the remainder is given by integral[n,inf] f(x)dx, which in this case is equal to 5*integral[n,inf] x^-7 dx. This can be further simplified to 5/n^6, which is the correct upper bound for the remainder.
GreenPrint

Homework Statement

Consider the following convergent series. Then complete parts a throw d below.

sum[k=1,inf] 5/k^7

a. Find an upper bound for the remainder in terms of n

Homework Equations

Estimating Series with Positive Terms
Let f be a continuous, positive, decreasing function for x >= 1 and let a_k = f(k) for k = 1,2,3,... Let S = sum[k=1,inf] a_k be a convergent series and let S_n = sum[k=1,n] a_k be the sum of the first n terms of the series. The remainder R_n = S - S_n satisfies

R_n <= integral[n,inf] f(x)dx.

Furthermore, the exact value of the series is bounded as follows:

S_n + integral[n+1,inf] f(x)dx <= sum[k=1,inf] a_k <= S_n + integral[n,inf] f(X)dx

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm unsure how to do this problem. I believe that I'm trying to evaluate

S_n + integral[n,inf] f(X)dx

I have no problem find the value of integral[n,inf] f(X)dx
but am not sure how to find the value of S_n. I would now how to find the value of this if I was asked to find upper bound for the error for the first 50 terms, I could then find S_50 by just finding the sum which would be a finite number, but I am unsure how to find the upper bound in this case were I guess I'm trying to find the value of S_n in this case would be S_inf which I'm not sure how to do. Thank's for any help which you can provide me with.

Physics news on Phys.org
GreenPrint said:

Homework Statement

Consider the following convergent series. Then complete parts a throw d below.

sum[k=1,inf] 5/k^7

a. Find an upper bound for the remainder in terms of n

Homework Equations

Estimating Series with Positive Terms
Let f be a continuous, positive, decreasing function for x >= 1 and let a_k = f(k) for k = 1,2,3,... Let S = sum[k=1,inf] a_k be a convergent series and let S_n = sum[k=1,n] a_k be the sum of the first n terms of the series. The remainder R_n = S - S_n satisfies

R_n <= integral[n,inf] f(x)dx.

Furthermore, the exact value of the series is bounded as follows:

S_n + integral[n+1,inf] f(x)dx <= sum[k=1,inf] a_k <= S_n + integral[n,inf] f(X)dx

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm unsure how to do this problem. I believe that I'm trying to evaluate

S_n + integral[n,inf] f(X)dx

I have no problem find the value of integral[n,inf] f(X)dx
The remainder (or error) is
[tex]\int_n^{\infty}f(x)dx = \int_n^{\infty}\frac{dx}{x^7} [/tex]
GreenPrint said:
but am not sure how to find the value of S_n. I would now how to find the value of this if I was asked to find upper bound for the error for the first 50 terms, I could then find S_50 by just finding the sum which would be a finite number, but I am unsure how to find the upper bound in this case were I guess I'm trying to find the value of S_n in this case would be S_inf which I'm not sure how to do. Thank's for any help which you can provide me with.

Well this problem was one of my homework questions which I do online in this program in which I input my answer and it told me I was wrong when I entered 5/6. Have I done something wrong?

5*integral[1,inf] dk/k^7 = 5/6

GreenPrint said:
Well this problem was one of my homework questions which I do online in this program in which I input my answer and it told me I was wrong when I entered 5/6. Have I done something wrong?

5*integral[1,inf] dk/k^7 = 5/6
Yes. If you want to estimate the series by using the first 50 terms of the series, the error is
[tex]R_{50} = \int_{50}^{\infty}5x^{-7}dx[/tex]

You have this in your relevant equations, but you must not have thought it to be relevant...

Last edited:
Alright well I entered 5/(6n) and it still told me I was wrong.

You have been told that an upper bound for the error is
[tex]\int_n^\infty \frac{5}{x^7}dx= 5\int_n^\infty x^{-7}dx[/tex]

What is that? (It is NOT 5/(6n)!)

1. What is an infinite series?

An infinite series is a sum of an infinite number of terms. Each term in the series is added together to get the total sum. For example, the infinite series 1 + 1/2 + 1/4 + 1/8 + ... goes on forever, but the sum of all the terms is 2.

2. What are positive terms in an infinite series?

Positive terms in an infinite series are terms that have a positive value. This means that when they are added together, they will always increase the overall sum of the series. Negative terms, on the other hand, will decrease the overall sum.

3. How do you estimate a series with positive terms?

To estimate a series with positive terms, you can use a variety of methods such as the comparison test, the ratio test, or the integral test. These methods allow you to compare the given series to a known series or function to determine if it converges or diverges.

4. Why is it important to estimate infinite series with positive terms?

Estimating infinite series with positive terms is important because it allows us to determine if a series converges or diverges. This information is crucial in understanding the behavior and properties of the series, and it can also help us make predictions and solve real-world problems.

5. Can infinite series with positive terms ever have a finite sum?

Yes, infinite series with positive terms can have a finite sum. This is known as a convergent series. However, not all infinite series with positive terms will have a finite sum. Some series may diverge and have an infinite sum. It is important to use estimation methods to determine the convergence or divergence of a series.