What is the simplest way of selecting the last N terms of a polynomial?

In summary, the conversation discusses a function for selecting the last N terms of a polynomial. The function is defined as F_k(p) = (p_n, p_{n-1}, ..., p_{n-k}) and is considered the simplest way to achieve this. However, it only works for polynomials in the form (1 + x)^n. The use of the "Pascal's triangle" is also suggested as an alternative.
kaleidoscope
If you have a polynomial like (1+x)^6 = x^6+6 x^5+15 x^4+20 x^3+15 x^2+6 x+1, What function would you use to pick only the last N terms? For instance, for N=3 pick x^6+6 x^5+15 x^4

I've being using sum of a binomial times something, but was wondering if there is anything more simple.

Thanks!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
kaleidoscope said:
What function would you use to pick only the last N terms?
What do you mean by "to pick"? Can you state your question mathematically?

Here:

gif.latex?\dpi{120}%20(x+y)^n=\sum_{\mu=0}^{n}\binom{n}{\mu}x^ny^{n-\mu}.gif

where

gif.latex?\dpi{120}%20\binom{n}{\mu}=\frac{n!}{\mu!(n-\mu)!}.gif

for example:
tex?\dpi{150}%20(x+1)^3=\binom{3}{0}+\binom{3}{1}x+\binom{3}{2}x^2+\binom{3}{3}x^3=1+3x+3x^2+x^3.gif

^ I think he might just mean an (ordered) set of terms from the polynomial. The order is established by listing the coefficients in descending order of their degree.

I think what you want isn't so complicated. It's as follows: if [itex]p \in \mathbb{R}\left[x\right][/itex] is a polynomial with degree n, i.e. [itex]p(x) = {p_n}{x^n} + {p_{n - 1}}{x^{n - 1}} + ... + {p_1}x + p_0[/itex], define the function [itex]F_k: \mathbb{R}\left[x\right] \rightarrow \mathbb{N}^k[/itex] by [itex]{F_k}(p) = (p_n, p_{n - 1}, ..., p_{n - k})[/itex]. This "gets" the first (or if you want, last) k coefficients, which is really all you need to define a polynomial.

Last edited:
Black Integra said:
Here:

gif.latex?\dpi{120}%20(x+y)^n=\sum_{\mu=0}^{n}\binom{n}{\mu}x^ny^{n-\mu}.gif

where

gif.latex?\dpi{120}%20\binom{n}{\mu}=\frac{n!}{\mu!(n-\mu)!}.gif

for example:
tex?\dpi{150}%20(x+1)^3=\binom{3}{0}+\binom{3}{1}x+\binom{3}{2}x^2+\binom{3}{3}x^3=1+3x+3x^2+x^3.gif

Exactly! This is the function I've being using. What I wonder is if there is a more simple version of it.

Thank you very much anyways!

I think it's the simplest way. May be, if you don't want to deal with combinatorics, use "[URL triangle[/URL]

Last edited by a moderator:
That only works for polynomials which can be expressed in the form (1 + x)n, though ...

1. What is a polynomial?

A polynomial is a mathematical expression that consists of variables and coefficients, combined using only addition, subtraction, and multiplication operations. It can have one or more terms, and each term can have a different degree.

2. How do you find the last N terms of a polynomial?

To find the last N terms of a polynomial, you can use the concept of degree and coefficients. The degree of a term is the highest power of its variable, and the coefficient is the number that multiplies the variable. You can start from the highest degree term and count N terms backward to get the last N terms of the polynomial.

3. What is the simplest way of selecting the last N terms of a polynomial?

The simplest way of selecting the last N terms of a polynomial is by using the polynomial's degree and coefficients. You can start from the highest degree term and count N terms backward to get the last N terms of the polynomial.

4. Are there any other methods for selecting the last N terms of a polynomial?

Yes, there are other methods for selecting the last N terms of a polynomial. One method is by using the polynomial's end behavior. The end behavior of a polynomial is determined by its leading term, which is the term with the highest degree. The end behavior can help identify the last few terms of a polynomial.

5. Why is it important to know how to select the last N terms of a polynomial?

Knowing how to select the last N terms of a polynomial is essential because it can help in simplifying and solving polynomial equations. By selecting the last N terms, you can identify the most significant terms of a polynomial and focus on them while solving equations. It can also help in understanding the behavior of a polynomial at its end, which is crucial in many applications.