How objects look at high speeds

• Thread starter gaavslev
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the phenomenon of Terrell rotation, where objects moving at high speeds appear rotated to an observer due to the time delay of light rays reaching the observer's eye. The conversation also mentions the length expansion effect and provides a link to a paper with visuals and further information. The speaker expresses appreciation for the link and confirms that their initial thoughts were correct.
gaavslev
I have some questions about light rays that are emitted from objects moving at high speeds relative to some observer. If an object, say a pole, is moving toward me at a velocity v the light rays from the end closest to me will arrive at my eye before the light rays from the back of the pole. And since the pole is moving toward me there will be some light ray emitted from the front of it at a later time that will arrive at my eye at the same time the light ray from the back of the pole from an earlier time arrives. Does this mean that to me the object would appear to be longer? Or does something in relativity modify things so that the length of the pole will appear as it should--contracted from its proper length?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Thank you for the link! This is exactly the stuff I was wondering about! I hadn't even thought about rotation, and they talk about the length expansion effect that I was wondering about too. I was starting to think I had missed something, but I didn't. Thank you.

What is the Doppler effect and how does it affect the appearance of objects at high speeds?

The Doppler effect is the change in frequency or wavelength of a wave when the source of the wave is moving relative to the observer. This effect can cause objects to appear different at high speeds, such as a change in color due to a shift in the wavelength of light.

How does time dilation affect the way objects appear at high speeds?

According to Einstein's theory of relativity, time dilation occurs when an object is moving at high speeds, causing time to pass slower for that object. This can affect the way objects appear as the time it takes for light to travel from the object to the observer is also affected.

Do objects always appear smaller when they are moving at high speeds?

No, the size of an object does not change as it moves at high speeds. However, the way the object appears to an observer can be affected by factors such as the Doppler effect and time dilation.

Can objects appear to be moving at different speeds to different observers?

Yes, this is known as the relativity of simultaneity. Due to the speed of light being constant, two observers moving at different speeds can perceive the same event to be happening at different times, causing the object to appear to be moving at different speeds.

What role does light play in how objects look at high speeds?

Light is essential in how objects appear at high speeds. As an object moves at high speeds, the wavelength of light can shift, causing changes in the color and appearance of the object. Light also plays a role in time dilation, as the speed of light is constant and affected by the movement of the object.