Equating E=mc^2 & E=hf: A Derivation of de Broglie's Theorem

Therefore:(hf)^2 = (pc)^2 + 0,orf = pc/h = p/\hbar if you prefer.In summary, there has been some discussion about equating E=mc^2 with E=hf, which some may be using to derive the "relativistic mass" of a photon. However, this concept may not be useful. Additionally, there has been a request for a derivation of de Broglie’s theorem, which relates wavelength to momentum. This can be derived by setting the invariant mass to 0 and using the relationship between energy, momentum and frequency for a photon.
repugno
On a couple of webisites I have seen that they have equated E=mc^2 with E=hf ... i.e hf=mc^2

But how can this be done when E=hf is describing the energy of a photon and E=mc^2 isnt?

Also, can someone provide me with a derivation of de Broglie’s theorem ?

Wavelength = h/momentum
thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
repugno said:
On a couple of webisites I have seen that they have equated E=mc^2 with E=hf ... i.e hf=mc^2

I bet they're deriving the "relativistic mass" of a photon. I don't consider the concept of "relativistic mass" to be very useful in general, let alone for a photon. But some people seem to like the idea.

Of course, they might be doing something completely different, but you didn't provide any context, so it's hard to tell.

Also, can someone provide me with a derivation of de Broglie’s theorem ?

Wavelength = h/momentum

Start with the general relationship between energy, momentum and invariant mass (not "relativistic mass"):

[tex]E^2 = \sqrt {p^2 c^2 + m^2 c^4}[/tex]

Set [tex]m = 0[/tex] and [tex]E = hf[/tex] for a photon. Also for a photon you have good old [tex]c = f \lambda[/tex].

It is not entirely accurate to equate E=mc^2 with E=hf, as these equations represent different concepts. E=mc^2 is the famous mass-energy equivalence equation, which states that mass and energy are interchangeable and that a small amount of mass can be converted into a large amount of energy. On the other hand, E=hf represents the energy of a photon, where h is Planck's constant and f is the frequency of the photon. These equations cannot be directly equated because they describe different phenomena.

However, there is a connection between these two equations through the concept of mass-energy equivalence. According to de Broglie's theory, all particles, including photons, have a wave-like nature. This means that they can also be described by a wavelength, which is given by the equation λ = h/p, where p is the momentum of the particle. This equation is known as de Broglie's wavelength equation. If we substitute the value of momentum (p) in this equation with the equation p=mc, we get λ = h/mc. This is where the connection between E=mc^2 and E=hf can be seen. By rearranging this equation, we get E=hf=mc^2, which shows that the energy of a particle (represented by E) can be expressed in terms of its mass (m) and its frequency (f).

In summary, while E=mc^2 and E=hf are not equivalent equations, they are connected through the concept of mass-energy equivalence and de Broglie's theory of wave-particle duality.

As for a derivation of de Broglie's theorem, it is beyond the scope of this response. However, a simple Google search can provide you with various resources and explanations on how this equation was derived. I would also recommend consulting a textbook or seeking help from a physics tutor for a more in-depth understanding.

1) What is the meaning of E=mc^2?

E=mc^2 is a famous equation in physics that relates mass (m) and energy (E). It states that the energy (E) of an object is equal to its mass (m) multiplied by the speed of light (c) squared.

2) How does E=mc^2 relate to de Broglie's theorem?

The derivation of de Broglie's theorem, which states that particles can also exhibit wave-like behavior, involves the use of the equation E=mc^2. This is because the equation shows the relationship between mass and energy, which is necessary for understanding the dual nature of particles.

3) What is the significance of E=hf in relation to E=mc^2?

E=hf is another important equation in physics that relates energy (E) and frequency (f) of a wave. It plays a role in the derivation of de Broglie's theorem, as it helps to explain the wave-like behavior of particles.

4) How does the derivation of de Broglie's theorem help us understand the behavior of particles?

The derivation of de Broglie's theorem helps us understand the behavior of particles by showing that they can exhibit both particle-like and wave-like behavior. This helps to explain phenomena such as diffraction and interference, which were previously only observed in waves.

5) Are there any practical applications of understanding the relationship between E=mc^2 and E=hf?

Yes, there are many practical applications of understanding the relationship between E=mc^2 and E=hf. For example, this understanding has led to the development of nuclear power and nuclear weapons, as well as advancements in medical imaging and technology.