No clue what to do with my life.

• Thread starter mayodt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Life
In summary, the conversation revolves around the person's interests in physics, math, and computers, but not finding any interesting job opportunities in those fields. The advice given includes researching and being flexible in career choices, seeking advice from those currently in the desired field, and exploring different areas of study in college to find the best fit for one's passions and career goals.
mayodt
Hey, I enjoy to do physics, math and work with computers, but all the jobs I know of that consist of these subjects do not interest me. Maybe there's something I'm missing or something? A job like theoretical physics would interest me, but how does someone make a living doing something like that? What are some jobs that I should look into?

Physics news on Phys.org
What about the academical choice? Higher degrees and so on?

Sorry, I forgot to mention, I'm hoping to go to university for Physical Sciences.

I don't think you need to worry too much about that right now. I was the same when I started going to college. A few of us know right from the beginning what we want to do the rest of our lives, but most of us don't. Try to learn something you enjoy in college, and you'll probably be fine. (:

mayodt said:
Hey, I enjoy to do physics, math and work with computers, but all the jobs I know of that consist of these subjects do not interest me. Maybe there's something I'm missing or something? A job like theoretical physics would interest me, but how does someone make a living doing something like that? What are some jobs that I should look into?

First piece of advice that I have to get off my chest: spend a bit of time to research what you are getting yourself into, especially if it is a big decision that will take up a lot of your time and other resources (like money).

Also in conjunction with this, be flexible and if something is telling you to pursue other means, then always listen to this nudging factor. This may seem like a paradoxical piece of advice compared to the first, but even the best set out plans don't turn out the way we envisaged so its important to accept a 'bad turnout' and be ready to move on with things.

Also one final piece of advice: see if you can ask someone that works in a particular job what it is like.

Before the internet, you would probably have to speak to someone face to face to ask them what their job was like, what it entailed, and what 'really' went on as opposed to what is 'publically thought' to be happening (i.e. the truth and not the 'glamour').

Now with the internet, you can ask questions and find things like this out (if people are willing to come clean with you) and tell you what they do so you can get a real idea of what is involved.

Also if you do the above, remember you make the final decision and I hope all goes well.

Hobin said:
I don't think you need to worry too much about that right now. I was the same when I started going to college. A few of us know right from the beginning what we want to do the rest of our lives, but most of us don't. Try to learn something you enjoy in college, and you'll probably be fine. (:

I second that. I suggest you study your field of interest say physics but take the introductory electives in other areas such as engineering, chemistry, etc. See what tickles your passions and where your aptitudes lie and what the subjects really entail. Weigh that with your other interests (do you want to try to raise a family on your income? get rich? work for yourself?)

What is the meaning of life?

The meaning of life is a deeply personal and subjective concept. It is different for each individual and can change throughout our lifetime. Some may believe it is to find happiness, others may see it as fulfilling a purpose or making a positive impact on the world. Ultimately, it is up to each person to determine their own meaning of life.

How do I figure out what I want to do with my life?

This is a common question and there is no one-size-fits-all answer. Some ways to help figure out what you want to do with your life include exploring your passions, interests, skills, and values. You can also seek guidance from mentors, career counselors, and self-reflection exercises.

Why do I feel lost and unsure about my future?

Feeling lost and unsure about the future is a common experience, especially when it comes to making important life decisions. It could be due to a lack of direction, fear of failure, or pressure from societal expectations. It's important to remember that it's okay to not have all the answers and to give yourself time and space to figure things out.

Is it normal to not have a clear career path?

Yes, it is completely normal to not have a clear career path. Many people have multiple career changes throughout their lifetime and it's natural to evolve and change as a person. It's important to be open to different opportunities and to not be too hard on yourself if you haven't figured out your ultimate career goal.

What are some steps I can take to find my purpose?

Finding your purpose can be a lifelong journey and there is no one formula for success. Some steps you can take include exploring your interests, trying new things, volunteering, and reflecting on your values and strengths. It's also important to not put too much pressure on yourself and to remember that your purpose may change over time.