Ring problem: nilpotent elements and units

In summary, we are trying to show that the sum of a unit and several nilpotent elements that commute with each other is also a unit. We can do this by first showing that the sum of two nilpotent elements that commute with each other is nilpotent. Then, we can use induction to show that the sum of k nilpotent elements that commute with each other is also nilpotent. Finally, we can prove that the sum of a nilpotent element and a unit is a unit by generalizing the binomial theorem and using a similar approach to proving 1+x is a unit, where x is nilpotent.
rachellcb

Homework Statement

Let R be a ring with multiplicative identity. Let u [itex]\in[/itex] R be a unit and let a1, ..., ak be nilpotent elements that commute with each other and with u. To show: u + a1 + ... + ak is a unit.

The Attempt at a Solution

Need to show that u'(u + a1 + ... + ak)=1 for some u' [itex]\in[/itex] R.
I know that 1 - ai is a unit (i=1,2,...,k) since each ai is nilpotent.
So I'm trying to think of possible candidates for u'.
My attempt so far have been to try and cancel the ai terms by multiplying
u + a1 + ... + ak by a1n-1, where a1n =0 and so on for all all a_i but this leaves me with ua1n-1...akm-1 and doesn't seem to be leading anywhere...
Any suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
Show first that the sum of two nilpotent elements which commute with each other is nilpotent (Hint: Generalize the binomial theorem to an arbitrary ring). Then use induction to show that the sum of k nilpotent elements which commute with each other is nilpotent. Then lastly prove that the sum of a nilpotent element and a unit is a unit (Hint: This is similar to proving 1+x is a unit, where x is nilpotent).

Solved, thanks! :smile:

What is a nilpotent element?

A nilpotent element in a ring is an element that when raised to a certain power becomes equal to zero. In other words, there exists a positive integer n such that an = 0, where a is the nilpotent element.

What is a unit in a ring?

A unit in a ring is an element that has a multiplicative inverse. In other words, for an element a to be a unit, there must exist another element b in the ring such that a*b = b*a = 1. The set of units in a ring is denoted by U(R).

What is the difference between nilpotent elements and zero divisors?

Nilpotent elements and zero divisors are both elements in a ring that produce 0 when multiplied with another element. However, a nilpotent element is only zero when raised to a certain power, while a zero divisor can be zero when multiplied with any other element in the ring. Additionally, every nilpotent element is a zero divisor, but the converse is not always true.

Can a unit also be a nilpotent element?

No, a unit cannot be a nilpotent element. This is because a unit has a multiplicative inverse, meaning it cannot be equal to 0 when raised to any power.

How can we determine if an element is a nilpotent element or a unit in a ring?

To determine if an element is a nilpotent element, we can raise it to different powers until we get 0. If it is a unit, we can check if there exists another element in the ring that acts as its multiplicative inverse. Another way to determine if an element is a unit is to check if it is in the set of units U(R).