Solving Heat Transfer Coefficient Error: Lab Report Analysis

In summary: To calculate U_f(T), you would need to use the uncertainty in the temperature measurement, U_T, as this is the variable that f(T) depends on.In summary, you are on the right track with both of your attempts. However, you need to use the uncertainties in the measurements, rather than the variables themselves, in the equation for U_h. Additionally, for your second method, you would need to use U_T to calculate the uncertainty in the function f(T). I hope this helps clarify things for you. Keep up the good work!
thepatient

Homework Statement

This is a lab report that I'm working on. I'm almost done, except for the last part which consists of finding the error in the result for our heat transfer coefficient h using Newton's law of cooling. I've tried this in different ways but I can't seem to get it right.

We have 51 data points for temperature and 51 data points for their respective times.

Homework Equations

ln( (T-T(room))/(T(initial) - T(room)) = -hAt/(C*p*V)

Where T is the variable of temperature of the metal sphere whose temperature is being measured, T(room) is room temperature, T(initial) is initial temperature of sphere, h is the heat transfer coefficient, A is the surface area, t is the time, C is the specific heat, p is the density and V is the volume.

The root sum square method says, that if we have h(T,t), then the uncertainty of h:

Uh = +/- [ (T/h * ∂h/∂T * U_T)^2 + (t/h * ∂h/∂t * U_t)^2 ] ^(1/2)

U_T is the uncertainty of the measurement device, which is 0.5 degrees C. U_t I assume will be 1 second, since the timer was read to the nearest second.

The Attempt at a Solution

First, solving for h(T,t):

h = - [CpVln((T-T(room))/(T(initial)- T(room)) ]/(At)

Partial derivatives:
∂h/∂T = -CpV/(A*t*(T-T(room)))

∂h/∂t = [CpVln((T-T(room))/(T(initial)- T(room)) ]/(At^2)

Multiplying by T/h and t/h for the respective components above:

∂h/∂T *T/h = 1/(T-T(room)) * (1/ln((T-T(room))/(T(initial)- T(room))

∂h/∂t * t/h = -1

But then when placing these two in equation for U_h, I'm not sure which T to use for the portion of ∂h/∂T *T/h*U_t. Another way that I tried solving this was by letting f(T) = ln(T-T(room)/(Tin - T(room)).

But then the function will be come h= h(f(T), t), so the uncertainty would be:

U_h = +-[ (∂h/∂f(T) *f(T)/h*U_f(T))^2 + (1)^2] ^(1/2).

∂h/∂f(T) * f(T)/h would reduce down to -1, so I would get:

U_h = +-[ (-U_f(T))^2 +1 ]^(1/2).

I wasn't sure if this second method was right, and if it is, what would I use for the uncertainty of the f(T) function U_f(T)?

I hope this post makes sense. I've been working on this particular part of the lab for so long. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

Thank you for sharing your lab report and explaining your thought process for finding the error in the heat transfer coefficient using Newton's law of cooling. It seems like you have been working hard on this and have tried different methods, but are still struggling to find the correct solution. I will try my best to help you with this problem.

First, I want to make sure that we are on the same page with the equations and variables. From your post, it seems like you are using the following equation to calculate the heat transfer coefficient:

ln((T-T(room))/(T(initial)-T(room))) = -hAt/(C*p*V)

Where T is the temperature of the metal sphere, T(room) is the room temperature, T(initial) is the initial temperature of the sphere, h is the heat transfer coefficient, A is the surface area, t is the time, C is the specific heat, p is the density, and V is the volume.

Now, let's look at the equation you provided for calculating the uncertainty in h:

Uh = +/- [ (T/h * ∂h/∂T * U_T)^2 + (t/h * ∂h/∂t * U_t)^2 ] ^(1/2)

Here, U_T and U_t are the uncertainties in the temperature and time measurements, respectively. It is important to note that these values are not the same as the uncertainties in the measurement device. These values represent the precision of your measurements, which is typically determined by the instrument used and the experimental setup.

Now, let's move on to your attempts at solving this problem. In your first attempt, you correctly calculated the partial derivatives of h with respect to T and t. However, when it comes to using these values in the equation for U_h, you need to use the uncertainties in the measurements, not in the variables themselves. So, for the portion of ∂h/∂T * T/h * U_t, you would use U_T instead of T. Similarly, for ∂h/∂t * t/h * U_t, you would use U_t instead of t.

In your second attempt, you are using a different method, which is also correct. You are trying to calculate the uncertainty in h by using the uncertainty in the function f(T). Here, you are assuming that the uncertainty in the heat transfer coefficient is solely dependent on the uncertainty in the function f(T). This approach

1. What is the purpose of a heat transfer coefficient lab report analysis?

The purpose of a heat transfer coefficient lab report analysis is to determine the rate at which heat is transferred between two mediums. This information is important in understanding the efficiency of heat transfer processes and can be used to optimize systems and equipment.

2. What factors can affect the accuracy of heat transfer coefficient measurements?

There are several factors that can affect the accuracy of heat transfer coefficient measurements, including experimental errors, variations in the testing environment, and limitations of the measuring equipment. It is important to carefully control these factors to obtain reliable results.

3. How can heat transfer coefficient errors be identified and corrected?

Heat transfer coefficient errors can be identified by comparing the measured values to expected values or theoretical calculations. If there is a significant difference, it is important to carefully review the experimental procedure and data to identify any potential sources of error. Corrections can then be made to improve the accuracy of the measurements.

4. What are some common sources of error in heat transfer coefficient experiments?

Some common sources of error in heat transfer coefficient experiments include variations in the testing environment, errors in temperature measurements, and inconsistencies in the experimental procedure. It is important to carefully control these variables and repeat the experiment multiple times to obtain accurate and reliable results.

5. How can heat transfer coefficient data be analyzed and interpreted?

Heat transfer coefficient data can be analyzed and interpreted by plotting the data and observing trends or patterns. The data can also be compared to theoretical values or other experimental results to validate the findings. Additionally, statistical analysis can be used to determine the level of confidence in the results and identify any outliers or anomalies.