Seeking Advice on Physics Grad-Schools with EE Degree

In summary, the speaker graduated with a degree in EE, with a focus on signal processing and communication network, but has always wanted to pursue a career in physics, particularly in cosmology or astronomy. However, their IT degree may hinder their chances of getting into a physics PhD program, as most programs require a physics background. They have recently learned that some programs, such as those at Arizona State University, focus more on signal processing and image processing and may not require a strong physics background. However, the speaker is unsure of how to gather more information about these programs and would appreciate any advice or resources. The speaker also mentions being confident in their ability to score high on the GRE subject test in physics.
uglybachelor
Hi, everyone~
I majored in EE in college, to be more precise, signal processing and communication network. And I just graduated a week ago.

But I've always wanted to be a researcher in physics, especially in cosmology or astronomy. Since almost every physics grad-school in US require their applicants to have a physics bachelor's degree, or at least to have taken several physics courses. Generally speaking, my degree is in IT, so I think it's safe to say that I have no shot applying to a physics PHD program with this degree.

However, I'm given to understand recently that some physics programs doesn't require their applicants to have a very strong physics background, because they are focused on signal processing or image processing etc. For instance, a very nice person(I don't know it's a he or she...) in this forum told me that the Arizona State University has some such programs in astronomy and astrophysics. My issue is that I have no channel of getting such information. So, I would be very grateful if someone can direct me to a website or give me some advice.

P.S. I understand that I have to take the GRE sub anyway, which I'm confident of scoring high because I've been teaching myself physics all along college.
P.P.S. I'm from China. So, if I didn't make myself clear enough at some places. Feel free to point it out~

Thank you~

Physics news on Phys.org
Anyone?

What is the difference between a physics graduate program and an electrical engineering graduate program?

While both programs may have some overlap in coursework, a physics graduate program typically focuses on fundamental principles and theories in physics, while an electrical engineering graduate program focuses on the application of those principles in designing and creating electrical systems and devices.

Do I need a background in both physics and electrical engineering to pursue a graduate degree in physics with an EE degree?

No, a strong foundation in physics and mathematics is typically sufficient for pursuing a graduate degree in physics. However, having some background in electrical engineering may be beneficial for certain research projects or areas of study.

What are some top physics graduate schools that accept students with an EE degree?

Some top physics graduate schools that accept students with an EE degree include MIT, Caltech, Stanford, and Harvard. It is important to research and consider the specific programs and research areas within each school to find the best fit for your interests and goals.

Are there any specific courses or experiences that can help improve my chances of being accepted into a physics graduate program with an EE degree?

Taking upper-level physics courses and participating in research projects or internships related to physics can help demonstrate your interest and aptitude for the field. It may also be helpful to have strong letters of recommendation from professors in both physics and electrical engineering.

What career opportunities are available for someone with a graduate degree in physics and an EE degree?

Graduates with a dual background in physics and electrical engineering may have a wide range of career opportunities in industries such as telecommunications, aerospace, technology, and renewable energy. They may also pursue careers in research and academia.