Please Review Database Tables for Advanced Database Class

In summary, the conversation discusses the requirements for a new database system for a company, including tracking customer information and transactions, employee information, and products/services offered. The company wants to minimize the number of tables used and ensure proper relationships between entities. The next step is to create the SQL code to build the tables. The question is not related to physics, but rather a coursework/homework question in the field of computer science engineering.
iamjon.smith
After you have analyzed the existing material used by the company for their day-to-day duties, the current Access database, and the additional requirements that the current system does not meet, the following requirements entity/attributes have been compiled:

Customer information is tracked using ‘standard’ attributes.
A customer may purchase products or services; if they purchase products or services, the following is tracked:
Product purchased
Date of purchase
Total of purchase

A supplier may sell products or services; if they sold products or services, the following is tracked:
Product sold
Date of sale
Total of sale
Is item purchased available for resale

Your company wants to keep the number of tables storing address information to a bare minimum (read this as 1).

Customers can be both a "supplier" and "someone that purchased services," and it is not required that they be either.

Employee information is tracked using standard attributes.

An employee will either be considered customer interfacing or internal support.

If the employee is customer facing, the following information is tracked:
Customer for interaction (note that a customer will only interface with a single employee)
Product specialty
Hours of training
Commission rate

If the employee is internal support, then the following is tracked:
Salary
Support area

An employee can be either customer facing or internal support, but not both.

Your company wants to keep the number of tables storing generic employee information to a bare minimum (read this as 1).

Finally, the company wants to track products or services offered. This should be a single table with typical attributes that describe inventory.

Every customer that either makes a purchase or sells goods to the company must be associated with an employee.

Every transaction that a customer makes with the company is stored/tracked, A customer may buy or sell many products, and a product is sold to more than one customer.

Create an enhanced ERD to meet these requirements. Ensure that entities are properly defined and appropriate attributes are listed for each entity. Also, ensure that all entities are properly related.

Tables show All Tables with Table Name, Foreign Keys, and Primary Keys. Basic Relationships are also indicated.

I have been graded on this assignment already, and I think I have fixed my tables, but am not confident I am ready to move on to the next phase which is to provide the SQL code that would actually build the tables. Could someone review the tables I have created and let me know if everything is right, or point out what is wrong so that I can fix it. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. The next assignment due date is Monday 8/13, but the sooner I fix my tables, the better!

Logical_Data_Model.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
Is this really a physics question?

Is this really a physics question?

No, it is not a physics question. That is why I placed this question in the "Engineering, Comp Sci, & Technology" discussion board, inside the "Homework & Coursework Questions" board.

This is a Comp Sci Engineering Coursework/Homework question.

Please do not post trash responses just to get your post number up. Either help, or don't help, but don't be a jerk.

1. What is the purpose of reviewing database tables for an advanced database class?

The purpose of reviewing database tables for an advanced database class is to gain a deeper understanding of the structure and functionality of databases. This will allow for more efficient and effective database design and management.

2. How can reviewing database tables benefit my career as a scientist?

Reviewing database tables can benefit your career as a scientist by improving your data management skills, allowing for better organization and analysis of research data, and making you more competitive in the job market.

3. What skills do I need to have to effectively review database tables?

To effectively review database tables, you should have a strong understanding of database concepts, knowledge of SQL and database management systems, and the ability to analyze and manipulate data.

4. How often should database tables be reviewed?

Database tables should be reviewed regularly, especially when new data is added or changes are made to the database. It is recommended to review database tables at least once a year to ensure they are up-to-date and efficient.

5. What are some common mistakes to look out for when reviewing database tables?

Some common mistakes to look out for when reviewing database tables include incorrect data types, redundant or unnecessary data, and poor database design. It is important to carefully examine the tables and make necessary changes to ensure optimal functionality and efficiency.