Can You Find the Unique Solution to These Simultaneous Equations?

In summary, simultaneous equations are a set of equations with multiple variables that must be solved at the same time. The purpose of solving simultaneous equations is to find the values of the variables that satisfy all of the equations, which can be used to solve real-world problems. The two main methods for solving simultaneous equations are substitution and elimination. To know if a system of simultaneous equations has a solution, the equations must be consistent, inconsistent, or dependent. Some real-world applications of simultaneous equations include fields such as engineering, physics, and economics, where they can be used to model and solve problems involving multiple variables.
FeDeX_LaTeX
Gold Member
The problem:

"[tex]xy + yz + zx = 12[/tex]
[tex]xyz = 2 + x + y + z[/tex]

Find a solution of the above simultaneous equations, in which all of x, y and z are positive, and prove that it is the only such solution.

Show that a solution exists in which x, y and z are real and distinct."

I haven't really made much progress on this problem. I divided the first equation by the second and got;

[tex]\frac{1}{x} + \frac{1}{y} + \frac{1}{z} = \frac{12}{2 + x + y + z}[/tex]

or

[tex]2 + x + y + z = \frac{12}{\frac{1}{x} + \frac{1}{y} + \frac{1}{z}}[/tex]

if we do this:

[tex]\frac{2 + x + y + z}{4} = \frac{3}{\frac{1}{x} + \frac{1}{y} + \frac{1}{z}}[/tex]

I notice that the LHS is the arithmetic mean of {2, x, y, z} and the RHS is the harmonic mean of {x, y, z}. They are equal iff x = y = z = 2, so one solution is x = 2, y = 2, z = 2. BUT it appears that they want x, y and z to be distinct.

Can anyone help me here?

Thanks.

EDIT:
Wait... on second thought, what I wrote is wrong. The two sets {2,x,y,z} and {x,y,z} aren't identical. Looks like I am back to square one.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
FeDeX_LaTeX said:
The problem:

Find a solution of the above simultaneous equations, in which all of x, y and z are positive, and prove that it is the only such solution.

I haven't really made much progress on this problem. I divided the first equation by the second and got;
[tex]\frac{1}{x} + \frac{1}{y} + \frac{1}{z} = \frac{12}{2 + x + y + z}[/tex][tex]2 + x + y + z = \frac{12}{\frac{1}{x} + \frac{1}{y} + \frac{1}{z}}[/tex]

if we do this:

[tex]\frac{2 + x + y + z}{4} = \frac{3}{\frac{1}{x} + \frac{1}{y} + \frac{1}{z}}[/tex]

I notice that the LHS is the arithmetic mean of {2, x, y, z} and the RHS is the harmonic mean of {x, y, z}. They are equal iff x = y = z = 2, so one solution is x = 2, y = 2, z = 2. BUT it appears that they want x, y and z to be distinct.

Can anyone help me here?

Thanks.

EDIT:
Wait... on second thought, what I wrote is wrong. The two sets {2,x,y,z} and {x,y,z} aren't identical. Looks like I am back to square one.

Since the solution is unique, you can try to make the problem simple by adding a relationship between x,y and z and see if the problem can still be solved. perhaps you may try x,y,z form an arithmetic sequence, etc. What makes you think z,y,z must be different? Looks like a valid solution, i.e. the one in which x thru z are each positive. In the second part, a negative number could be included.

Last edited:
There are two different problems here, and you are conflating them

FeDeX_LaTeX said:
The problem:

You want the unique positive solution. It is obvious that x=y=z=2 is the solution because you can substitute the values in the original. What you need to show is that unique implies symmetric.

The only positive solution is symmetric, so if you want distinct, at least one must be negative.

What are simultaneous equations?

Simultaneous equations are a set of equations with multiple variables that must be solved at the same time. They involve finding the values of the variables that satisfy all of the equations.

What is the purpose of solving simultaneous equations?

The purpose of solving simultaneous equations is to find the values of the variables that satisfy all of the equations. This can be used to solve real-world problems involving multiple variables, such as finding the optimal solution to a system.

What are the different methods for solving simultaneous equations?

The two main methods for solving simultaneous equations are substitution and elimination. Substitution involves solving for one variable in one equation and plugging it into the other equation. Elimination involves manipulating the equations to eliminate one variable and then solving for the remaining variable.

How do I know if a system of simultaneous equations has a solution?

A system of simultaneous equations has a solution if the equations are consistent, meaning they have at least one set of values that satisfy all of the equations. If the equations are inconsistent, meaning there is no solution that satisfies all of the equations, then the system has no solution. If the equations are dependent, meaning the equations are equivalent, then there are infinitely many solutions.

What are some real-world applications of simultaneous equations?

Simultaneous equations can be used in a variety of fields, including engineering, physics, economics, and more. They can be used to model and solve problems involving multiple variables, such as optimizing production or determining the path of a moving object.