Applied math vs. statistics PhD - job prospects

In summary, there are good job prospects for both applied math and statistics PhDs, with statistics having slightly better prospects currently. Specializing in data mining, analytics, and bioinformatics can also improve job prospects. For those interested in bioinformatics, a statistics PhD program with a focus on data mining/machine learning is recommended. However, job market conditions may change in the future.
g4MMa
Applied math vs. statistics PhD -- job prospects

I'm a math major considering pursuit of a PhD in applied math or stats when I graduate. I'm trying to ascertain the job prospects in these fields. Can anyone provide some information on how readily jobs are available in industry and academia in these fields, what the pay is like, etc.? Do those with a PhD in one of these disciplines fare considerably better than those with a PhD in the other? What are the pros/cons of the two degrees?

I'm particularly interested in applications of math to biology -- bioinformatics, systems biology, etc. What postgraduate degree would be best for pursuing work in these fields?

Any information or advice on these topics is much appreciated. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org

As a statistician currently working in industry, I can definitively say that the job prospects for a statistics PhD are quite good (at least for now), especially in the emerging fields of data mining, analytics, and bioinformatics. At least anecdotally, I have heard that job prospects for academia are not too bad for statistics PhDs (at least compared to those of other disciplines).

I'm not certain about the job prospects for an applied math PhD, however -- it would largely depend on which area of applied math you intend to specialize in, with those specializing in some form of computing having greater job prospects than others. Please note that in some grad schools, one can earn practically an equivalent of a statistics PhD while working towards your applied math PhD (both Cornell and Princeton are such schools).

If your particular interest is in pursuing research in bioinformatics, I would think that a statistics PhD program with a strong emphasis on data mining/machine learning would be a good place to pursue your studies, since the methods developed in machine learning and data mining tend to be applied to large scale genomic and proteomic analyses.

Now as a disclaimer, please keep in mind that what I have stated above applies to the job prospects for people completing their statistics Masters or PhDs at this time. While I do not personally anticipate that the situation will differ dramatically within the next 5 years (the time frame in which presumably you will complete your PhD), it is difficult if not impossible to say for certain what the job prospects of any field will be like within that time.

Last edited:

1. What is the main difference between an applied math PhD and a statistics PhD?

The main difference between these two PhD programs is their focus. An applied math PhD typically involves studying mathematical concepts and theories and applying them to real-world problems, while a statistics PhD focuses on the development and application of statistical methods and models to analyze data.

2. Which PhD program has better job prospects?

Both applied math and statistics PhDs have promising job prospects. Applied math PhD holders can pursue careers in industries such as finance, engineering, and technology, while statistics PhD holders can find jobs in fields like healthcare, government, and market research. It ultimately depends on an individual's interests and skills.

3. Are there any specific industries that prefer candidates with an applied math PhD over a statistics PhD and vice versa?

Certain industries may prefer one degree over the other, but it ultimately depends on the specific job role and the individual's qualifications and experience. For example, industries that heavily rely on data analysis may prefer candidates with a statistics PhD, while industries that require mathematical modeling may prefer those with an applied math PhD.

4. Can I pursue a career in academia with either a PhD in applied math or statistics?

Yes, both PhD programs can lead to careers in academia. However, the specific job opportunities may differ. Applied math PhD holders may be more suited for teaching and research positions in math departments, while statistics PhD holders may find opportunities in fields like economics, psychology, or public health.

5. Are there any specific skills or courses that I should focus on to improve my job prospects with either degree?

To improve job prospects, individuals pursuing either a PhD in applied math or statistics should focus on developing strong analytical and problem-solving skills, as well as gaining experience with relevant programming and statistical software. Additionally, taking courses in areas such as data science, machine learning, and business can also be beneficial for job opportunities in various industries.