Seeking Advice for Higher Studies

• Thread starter ome700
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Studies
In summary: Your Name]In summary, the conversation discussed the worth of pursuing a Master of Engineering with a non-engineering bachelor's degree, job prospects without a PE status, and options for becoming a Professional Engineer. The expert advised considering personal career goals and interests when deciding between an undergraduate or master's degree in engineering, and highlighted that there are still job opportunities available without a PE certification.
ome700
Hello,

Hope you are doing well. I am seeking advice from you guys. (specially individuals from an engineering fields.)

I have a four year Non-Engineering Bachelor degree in Mechanical along with 3+ years experience in Piping/Steel Structural Drafting/Designing. These days I am looking for higher studies.

If I get admission in Master of Engineering, what you guys think. Is this really worth full to me?

Seeing as one cannot become a Professional Engineer with a master's degree in Engineering, only bachelors degree in engineering qualifies. Secondly! (In my personal opinion) It is very difficult to finding a job as a Engineer, Because most of employers asking for Professional Engineer(PE) Status.

1 - So, isn't it generally pointless to do an engineering masters after a non-engineering bachelors? What is job prospective after Master of Engineering without PE Status.

2 - I am also seeking advice, Is there any way to become a professional Engineer. I am willing to spend 2 more years on undergraduate level.

3 - Also Please advice me what to do? Should I go for undergraduate or Master (Other then Master of Engineering).

Your detailed replies are highly appreciated.

BR
Umair

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello Umair,

Thank you for reaching out for advice on your higher education and career path. As a fellow scientist with a background in engineering, I can offer some insights and suggestions for your consideration.

Firstly, congratulations on your 3+ years of experience in piping/steel structural drafting/designing. That is a valuable skill set in the engineering industry and can open up many opportunities for you.

Regarding your question about the worth of pursuing a Master of Engineering with a non-engineering bachelor's degree, it ultimately depends on your personal career goals and the specific program you are interested in. While it may not be necessary for becoming a Professional Engineer, a master's degree in engineering can provide you with advanced knowledge and skills that can make you a more competitive candidate for certain job positions. It can also open up opportunities for research and development roles in industries that require a strong technical background.

As for job prospects without a PE status, there are still many job opportunities available in the engineering field that do not require a PE certification. These include roles in research and development, project management, and technical consulting. It is important to highlight your experience and skills in your resume and cover letter to showcase your qualifications for these positions.

If becoming a Professional Engineer is still a goal for you, there are a few options to consider. One option is to pursue a post-graduate certificate or diploma in engineering, which can provide you with the necessary education and training to qualify for the PE exam. Another option is to gain more experience in the engineering field and apply for the PE exam after meeting the required number of years of experience.

Ultimately, the decision to pursue an undergraduate or master's degree should be based on your career goals and personal interests. If you are interested in advancing your technical knowledge and skills, a master's degree may be the right choice for you. However, if becoming a Professional Engineer is a top priority, it may be worth considering an undergraduate degree in engineering.

I hope this helps guide you in your decision-making process. Best of luck in your higher education and career journey!

1. What are the benefits of pursuing higher studies?

The benefits of pursuing higher studies include gaining advanced knowledge and skills in a specific field, improving career prospects and earning potential, developing critical thinking and problem-solving abilities, and expanding one's professional network.

2. How do I choose the right program for my higher studies?

To choose the right program for your higher studies, consider your career goals, interests, and strengths. Research different programs, their curriculum, faculty, and alumni network. Additionally, consider factors such as location, cost, and accreditation.

3. What are the requirements for admission to higher studies?

Requirements for admission to higher studies vary depending on the program and institution. Generally, you will need to have completed a relevant undergraduate degree, meet minimum GPA requirements, submit transcripts, letters of recommendation, and a statement of purpose, and take any required standardized tests such as the GRE or GMAT.

4. How can I finance my higher studies?

There are several ways to finance your higher studies, including scholarships, grants, loans, and part-time work. Research and apply for scholarships and grants specific to your field of study, and consider taking out federal or private loans. Working part-time while studying can also help cover expenses.

5. Can I pursue higher studies while working full-time?

It is possible to pursue higher studies while working full-time, but it may require careful planning and time management. Consider enrolling in a part-time or online program, or speak to your employer about flexible work arrangements. Be prepared to balance work, studies, and personal life effectively.