Matter wave - relationship between broglie wavelength, wavelength

In summary: So, a photon always travels at c, but its group velocity can be anything.In summary, the energy of a particle is represented by fh and can include both the kinetic energy of the particle and its frequency, which is related to its Broglie wavelength. The Broglie wavelength is not equivalent to the wavelength of a particle, but they have similar dimensions. The frequency of a particle can be calculated using the energy of the particle and its momentum. The phase velocity and group velocity of a particle's matter wave can differ, but for a photon, both are equal to the speed of light in a vacuum.
Deathnote777

Homework Statement

1. fh stands for energy of a particle. But what is included in the energy ? K.E. of the particle only ?
1.1. If fh is the K.E only, then I have a question. λ=h/p --> fλ=fh/mv --> mv^2 = fh. It is strange that fh = mv^2 but not 1/2 mv^2.

2. Is broglie wavelength equivalent to wavelength ? (e.g. Consider a Infrared light, does its wavelength same as the broglie wavelength of its photon ? )
3. What does it exactly mean when we talk about the frequency of electron/photon ?

I am really confused about the relationship between broglie wavelength, wavelength, Energy(fh), K.E. and frequency of the particles. I hope you can clear my concept , Thanks !

Homework Equations

λ=h/p

The Attempt at a Solution

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Deathnote777 said:

Homework Statement

1. fh stands for energy of a particle. But what is included in the energy ? K.E. of the particle only ?
1.1. If fh is the K.E only, then I have a question. λ=h/p --> fλ=fh/mv --> mv^2 = fh. It is strange that fh = mv^2 but not 1/2 mv^2.

No !

λ=h/p
And , K.E.=p2/2m and K.E.=fh

2. Is broglie wavelength equivalent to wavelength ? (e.g. Consider a Infrared light, does its wavelength same as the broglie wavelength of its photon ? )

No. Their contexts are different. Although dimensionally they are equivalent.

3. What does it exactly mean when we talk about the frequency of electron/photon ?

Energy of photons = n*h*frequency of photon

Think from here.

I am really confused about the relationship between broglie wavelength, wavelength, Energy(fh), K.E. and frequency of the particles. I hope you can clear my concept , Thanks !

Deathnote777 said:
1.1. If fh is the K.E only, then I have a question. λ=h/p --> =fh/mv --> mv^2 = fh. It is strange that fh = mv^2 but not 1/2 mv^2.

fλ equals the phase velocity of the deBroglie waves. The phase velocity of the waves does not equal the velocity of the particle. But you an show that the group velocity of the deBroglie waves does equal the velocity of the particle.

TSny said:
fλ equals the phase velocity of the deBroglie waves. The phase velocity of the waves does not equal the velocity of the particle. But you an show that the group velocity of the deBroglie waves does equal the velocity of the particle.
Thanks. Now, consider a photon. λ=h/p. fλ = E/p. What should fλ be ? My book says it is c. But why ? Isn't fλ the group velocity
broglie wavelength has same value as wavelength, right ? Is it true that particle has only broglie wavelength but not wavelength ?
And is there phase velocity in quantum physics ? Isn't it only exist in classical one ?

sankalpmittal said:
No !

λ=h/p
And , K.E.=p2/2m and K.E.=fh

No. Their contexts are different. Although dimensionally they are equivalent.
Energy of photons = n*h*frequency of photon

Think from here.

How can we calculate the frequency of the particle? phase velocity / broglie wavelength or particle velocity / broglie wavelength ?

Last edited:

That's actually the first time I've looked this up, but here's from wikipedia:
"The group velocity is often thought of as the velocity at which energy or information is conveyed along a wave. In most cases this is accurate, and the group velocity can be thought of as the signal velocity of the waveform. However, if the wave is traveling through an absorptive medium, this does not always hold. Since the 1980s, various experiments have verified that it is possible for the group velocity of laser light pulses sent through specially prepared materials to significantly exceed the speed of light in vacuum. However, superluminal communication is not possible in this case, since the signal velocity remains less than the speed of light. It is also possible to reduce the group velocity to zero, stopping the pulse, or have negative group velocity, making the pulse appear to propagate backwards. However, in all these cases, photons continue to propagate at the expected speed of light in the medium."

In short, the possible variations in group velocity are produced by the absorptive properties of the medium (i.e. absorption and emission of photons by other particles); the individual photons, however, always have a velocity of c.

Last edited:

bossman27 said:
That's actually the first time I've looked this up, but here's from wikipedia:
"The group velocity is often thought of as the velocity at which energy or information is conveyed along a wave. In most cases this is accurate, and the group velocity can be thought of as the signal velocity of the waveform. However, if the wave is traveling through an absorptive medium, this does not always hold. Since the 1980s, various experiments have verified that it is possible for the group velocity of laser light pulses sent through specially prepared materials to significantly exceed the speed of light in vacuum. However, superluminal communication is not possible in this case, since the signal velocity remains less than the speed of light. It is also possible to reduce the group velocity to zero, stopping the pulse, or have negative group velocity, making the pulse appear to propagate backwards. However, in all these cases, photons continue to propagate at the expected speed of light in the medium."

In short, the possible variations in group velocity are produced by the absorptive properties of the medium (i.e. absorption and emission of photons by other particles); the individual photons, however, always have a velocity of c.
I don't know much actually. But fλ is not the individual speed of photon, isn't it ? fλ should be the phase velocity, is it right ?

Yes, that's correct, the velocity of a particle is the group velocity of its matter wave. For a massive particle, the phase velocity actually exceeds c... but, the phase velocity of a photon is equal to c, the same as its group velocity.

In relativistic terms you can write it this way:

[itex] v_{p} = \frac{E}{p} = \frac{\gamma m c^{2}}{\gamma m v_{g}} = \frac{c^{2}}{v_{g}} = \frac{c}{\beta} [/itex]

Where [itex] \beta [/itex] is the ratio of the particles velocity to c.

bossman27 said:
Yes, that's correct, the velocity of a particle is the group velocity of its matter wave. For a massive particle, the phase velocity actually exceeds c... but, the phase velocity of a photon is equal to c, the same as its group velocity.

In relativistic terms you can write it this way:

[itex] v_{p} = \frac{E}{p} = \frac{\gamma m c^{2}}{\gamma m v_{g}} = \frac{c^{2}}{v_{g}} = \frac{c}{\beta} [/itex]

Where [itex] \beta [/itex] is the ratio of the particles velocity to c.

Thanks, that means light is a special case in which phase velocity = individual one

How about

Isn't fλ the group velocity
broglie wavelength has same value as wavelength, right ? Is it true that particle has only broglie wavelength but not wavelength ?
And is there phase velocity in quantum physics ? Isn't it only exist in classical one ?

How can we calculate the frequency of the particle? phase velocity / broglie wavelength or particle velocity / broglie wavelength ?

1. What is the Broglie wavelength and how is it related to matter waves?

The Broglie wavelength is a concept in quantum mechanics that describes the wavelength of a matter wave. It is related to the momentum of a particle by the equation λ=h/mv, where h is Planck's constant, m is the mass of the particle, and v is its velocity. This relationship shows that the wavelength of a matter wave is inversely proportional to the momentum, meaning that particles with higher momentum have shorter wavelengths.

2. Can the Broglie wavelength be observed in everyday objects?

Yes, the Broglie wavelength can be observed in any object, including everyday objects. However, the wavelength is extremely small for macroscopic objects, making it difficult to detect. For example, a baseball traveling at 60 mph would have a Broglie wavelength of about 10^-34 meters, which is much smaller than the size of an atom.

3. How does the Broglie wavelength relate to the uncertainty principle?

The uncertainty principle states that it is impossible to know the exact position and momentum of a particle simultaneously. The Broglie wavelength is related to this principle because it describes the uncertainty in the momentum of a particle. The smaller the wavelength, the more uncertain the momentum is, and vice versa.

4. Does the Broglie wavelength have any practical applications?

Yes, the Broglie wavelength has several practical applications in various fields. In electron microscopy, the Broglie wavelength is used to determine the resolution of the microscope. In particle accelerators, it is used to determine the energy and momentum of particles. It also has applications in nanotechnology and quantum computing.

5. Is there a maximum or minimum value for the Broglie wavelength?

No, there is no maximum or minimum value for the Broglie wavelength. It can range from infinitesimally small values for high-momentum particles to larger values for low-momentum particles. However, for macroscopic objects, the wavelength is so small that it is practically impossible to measure.