Non-compact form of an algebra.

In summary: If a group is compact as a topological space, then its Lie algebra is compact, but not the other way around. For example, the unit circle in the complex plane is compact, but not its Lie algebra, which is isomorphic to the real line.
llorgos
I read that in string theory the Virasoro algebra contains an ##SL(2,R)## subalgebra that is generated by ##L_{-1}, L_{0}, L_{1}##. I read that this is the non-compact form of the ##SU(2)## algebra. Also, that as ##SU(2)## and ##SO(3)## have the same Lie algebra, so do ##SL(2,R)## and ##SO(2,1)##.

Can someone explain all the above statementes? I understand what a compact group is and I have seen that ##SU(2)## and ##SO(3)## have the same Lie algebra. But, what do the other statements mean?

Can you also give a more intuitive explanation?

Thank you very much.

Physics news on Phys.org
What's intuitive to one person might not be to another.

To obtain a "non-compact form" of a Lie algebra, you multiply some of the generators by ##i##. So if ##X_1, X_2, X_3## have the ##SU(2)## algebra

[tex][X_1, X_2] = X_3, \qquad [X_2, X_3] = X_1, \qquad [X_3, X_1] = X_2,[/tex]
then the new set of generators given by

[tex]\tilde X_1 \equiv i X_1, \qquad \tilde X_2 \equiv i X_2, \qquad \tilde X_3 \equiv X_3[/tex]
will have the algebra

[tex][\tilde X_1, \tilde X_2] = -\tilde X_3, \qquad [\tilde X_2, \tilde X_3] = \tilde X_1, \qquad [\tilde X_3, \tilde X_1] = \tilde X_2,[/tex]

which is the algebra of ##SL(2,\mathbb{R})##.

A Lie group is "compact" or "non-compact" depending on the eigenvalues of its Cartan-Killing form. If all the eigenvalues are negative, then the group is compact. If some of the eigenvalues are positive, then the group is non-compact. The Killing form of ##SL(2, \mathbb{R})## has signature ##(+, +, -)##, and it has the topology ##R^2 \times S^1##, so you see there are two noncompact directions, and one compact, matching the signs in the Killing form.

Both ##SU(2)## and ##SL(2,\mathbb{R})## algebras are subalgebras of ##SL(2, \mathbb{C})##, which is simply

[tex][X_i, X_j] = \varepsilon_{ijk} X_k,[/tex]
except that we allow complex linear combinations of the generators.

would it be possible to talk a bit more about the second part, the compactness or non-compactness of a Lie group?

In any case thank you very much.

Ben nicely touched the compactness of a Lie group from the compactness of its Lie algebra. But a group is a topological space on its own, so its compactness is defined in terms of open sets, open covers and subcovers.

The statement is discussing the mathematical structures involved in string theory, specifically the Virasoro algebra. This algebra contains a subalgebra known as ##SL(2,R)## that is generated by three operators: ##L_{-1}, L_{0}, L_{1}##. This subalgebra is known as the non-compact form of the ##SU(2)## algebra.

To understand this, we first need to define what a compact group is. A compact group is a group where any sequence of elements in the group has a limit that is also in the group. In simpler terms, it means that the group is "closed" and all its elements are "finite". On the other hand, a non-compact group is a group where there are elements that are not finite, and the group is not closed.

In the context of Lie algebras, a compact group has a finite-dimensional Lie algebra, while a non-compact group has an infinite-dimensional Lie algebra. This is where the statement about ##SU(2)## and ##SO(3)## having the same Lie algebra comes in. Both groups are compact and therefore have the same finite-dimensional Lie algebra.

Now, let's look at the statement about ##SL(2,R)## and ##SO(2,1)## having the same Lie algebra. As mentioned earlier, ##SL(2,R)## is the non-compact form of ##SU(2)##. Similarly, ##SO(2,1)## is the non-compact form of ##SO(3)##. This means that they have the same infinite-dimensional Lie algebra, even though they are different groups.

In simpler terms, the statement is saying that even though ##SU(2)## and ##SO(3)## are different compact groups, they have the same finite-dimensional Lie algebra. Similarly, ##SL(2,R)## and ##SO(2,1)## are different non-compact groups, but they have the same infinite-dimensional Lie algebra.

In the context of string theory, this is important because it allows us to use the mathematics of ##SL(2,R)## and ##SO(2,1)## to describe the physics of ##SU(2)## and ##SO(3)##, respectively. This is because they have the same underlying mathematical structure, just in different forms.

I hope this provides a more intuitive explanation of the statements mentioned.

1. What is a non-compact form of an algebra?

A non-compact form of an algebra is a mathematical structure that is not self-contained, meaning it requires additional information to fully define its properties. It is often used to describe structures that are infinite or unbounded.

2. How is a non-compact form of an algebra different from a compact form?

A compact form of an algebra is self-contained and can be fully described without any additional information. In contrast, a non-compact form requires extra information to fully define its properties.

3. What are some examples of non-compact forms of algebra?

Examples of non-compact forms of algebra include the real numbers, which are infinite and require additional information such as limits or intervals to fully define their properties, and the complex numbers, which require both a real and imaginary component to be fully described.

4. How are non-compact forms of algebra used in science?

Non-compact forms of algebra are commonly used in physics and other branches of science to describe structures that are infinite or unbounded. They are also used in calculus and other mathematical concepts to deal with infinite quantities.

5. What are the benefits of using non-compact forms of algebra?

Non-compact forms of algebra allow for a more flexible and general approach to describing mathematical structures, as they can handle infinite and unbounded quantities. They also provide a more accurate representation of real-world phenomena that cannot be fully described by compact forms of algebra.