How can I improve my formatting skills in PF?

• Thread starter sherrellbc
  • Start date
In summary, it seems that there is a bug where quick editing doesn't properly refresh the page, and the latex code isn't processed at all.
sherrellbc
I always have such a hard time trying to figure out the formatting on this forum. I have seen many people use shortcuts, as in '##' before phrases to bold and italicize them, while others use the latex style. Is there a tutorial posted somewhere?

Also, one of the most frustrating problems I have had is that, once I get some decent formatting for a post, when I edit, or otherwise try to adjust some formatting or phrasing, after I repost all the formatting is gone and all the syntax shows (as in [\tex] .. etc )

What is the trick?

Physics news on Phys.org
I type in the box and use the options above it.

sherrellbc said:
Also, one of the most frustrating problems I have had is that, once I get some decent formatting for a post, when I edit, or otherwise try to adjust some formatting or phrasing, after I repost all the formatting is gone and all the syntax shows (as in [\tex] .. etc )

What is the trick?

When you edit a page and then submit your edits, the page doesn't actually refresh, it's just AJAX refreshing your post, so I don't think the TEX formatter gets a chance to parse your pretty maths. If you do a page refresh (hit F5, or press the refresh button in your browser at right side of the address bar if you use Firefox) you'll see your TEX is OK.

sherrellbc said:

What is the trick?

This is a bug and only shows up on your own screen. For anyone else, as long as the syntax is correct, the formatting will be displayed properly. You just have to refresh the page and then it'll properly render the equations again.

dipole said:
This is a bug and only shows up on your own screen. For anyone else, as long as the syntax is correct, the formatting will be displayed properly. You just have to refresh the page and then it'll properly render the equations again.

Quick editing is processed by AJAX and it does not refresh the entire page which is needed for the revised MathJax code to be reprocessed.

Greg Bernhardt said:
Quick editing is processed by AJAX and it does not refresh the entire page which is needed for the revised MathJax code to be reprocessed.

I believe it happens with or without quick-editing though. Also the latex code isn't processed at all and shows up as plain text.

dipole said:
I believe it happens with or without quick-editing though. Also the latex code isn't processed at all and shows up as plain text.

Advanced editing will refresh the page and will run the MathJax script. Unless I don't understand the issue being discussed.

Wow, now that I re-read the OP's post when I'm not dead tired I realize they were having a problem. I feel like an *** for my answer now lol.

1. What is PF?

PF stands for "Protein Fasta", which is a file format used to store protein sequence information. It is commonly used in bioinformatics and molecular biology research.

2. How do I create a PF file?

To create a PF file, you will need to use a text editor such as Notepad or TextEdit. Simply open the text editor, enter the protein sequence information in the correct format, and save the file with a .pf extension.

3. What is the format of a PF file?

A PF file consists of two parts: the header and the sequence. The header contains information about the protein, such as its name and source organism. The sequence is a string of letters representing the amino acids in the protein, with each letter corresponding to a specific amino acid.

4. Can I edit a PF file?

Yes, you can edit a PF file using a text editor. However, it is important to follow the correct format and not alter the sequence information, as it may affect the accuracy of your data.

5. How do I read a PF file?

PF files can be read using various software programs, such as sequence alignment and analysis tools. These programs will display the sequence information in a user-friendly format, allowing you to analyze and compare it with other sequences.