Life After Physics Major: Doing a Second REU

In summary, an REU, or Research Experience for Undergraduates, is a program sponsored by the National Science Foundation that allows undergraduate students to conduct research in various fields of science. Doing a second REU can provide students with additional research experience, skills, and the opportunity to work with different mentors and in a different research environment. To find a second REU, students can search on the National Science Foundation's website, university websites, or ask for recommendations from professors or mentors. It is possible to do a second REU in a different field of science, but students should check the eligibility criteria before applying. To make the most out of a second REU, students should communicate with their mentors, take advantage of resources and opportunities, and
middlephysics
Hey, I am a physics major who just found out he needs to stay another year before graduating. Have people done more than one REU?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes. In fact I know someone who even saw that has another reason stay longer.

1. What is an REU?

An REU, or Research Experience for Undergraduates, is a program funded by the National Science Foundation that allows undergraduate students to conduct research in various fields of science, including physics.

2. Why should I do a second REU?

A second REU can provide you with additional research experience and skills, as well as the opportunity to work with different mentors and in a different research environment. This can help you broaden your knowledge and perspectives, and make you a more competitive applicant for graduate school or future jobs.

3. How can I find a second REU program?

You can search for REU programs on the National Science Foundation's website or on individual university websites. You can also ask your professors or mentors for recommendations or contacts in their research networks.

4. Can I do a second REU in a different field of science?

Yes, you can do a second REU in a different field of science. However, keep in mind that some programs may have specific requirements or preferences for applicants, so make sure to check the eligibility criteria before applying.

5. How can I make the most out of my second REU experience?

To make the most out of your second REU experience, make sure to communicate with your mentors and ask questions whenever you have them. Take advantage of the resources and opportunities provided by the program, and network with other students and professionals in your field. Also, don't be afraid to step out of your comfort zone and try new things, as this can help you grow both personally and professionally.