Exploring Alternatives to Coal Tar: Tips and Hints

• Thread starter Automagman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Coal Tips
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of coal tar in an experiment and suggestions for obtaining it. Alternatives and possible substitutes are also mentioned, such as naphtha. It is recommended to seek advice from a chemist or pharmacist, as coal tar is commonly used for skin problems and can be easily found for purchase.
Automagman
Coal Tar...wtf?

This experiment I am going to be working on calls for some coal tar. I have no clue where to get some besides trying to separate it out of shampoos and soaps. Any hints?

Or what i can use instead of Coal Tar.

Last edited:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
I'm pretty sure it's used for skin problems, so go see a chemist (if you're not British see a pharmacist ;) ).

Bizarre. But if your claim that:

This experiment I am going to be working on calls for some coal tar

Then don't you think you should stick to procuring some coal tar instead of searching for a substitute? =P I'm sure you could find it online, molecular compound sites? Coal tar for sale? Ebay?
Just my two cents, perhaps a molecular scientist would like to contradict me =)

Isn't coal tar also called Naphtha? Look into that.

Last edited:
Naphtha is a distillation product from coal tar.

Coal tar is readily available from a Chemist, my sister used to cover herself in it. Good for eczema!

1. What are the main alternatives to coal tar for paving and roofing?

Some common alternatives to coal tar for paving and roofing include asphalt, concrete, and synthetic or polymer-based sealants.

2. Are these alternatives more environmentally friendly than coal tar?

Yes, these alternatives are generally considered to be more environmentally friendly than coal tar because they do not contain the same level of toxic chemicals and pollutants.

3. Are there any drawbacks to using alternatives to coal tar?

Some potential drawbacks to using alternatives to coal tar include higher cost, shorter lifespan, and potential difficulty in finding a suitable replacement for certain applications.

4. How can I ensure that I am using a safe and effective alternative to coal tar?

It is important to do thorough research and consult with experts in the field to determine the best alternative for your specific needs. Look for products that have been tested and certified by reputable organizations.

5. Are there any regulations or restrictions on using alternatives to coal tar?

Yes, there may be regulations and restrictions on the use of certain alternatives to coal tar, especially in terms of their environmental impact. It is important to check with local authorities and follow all guidelines and regulations when using these alternatives.