Traction-slip control: braking a low mu-wheel to support driving tor

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of traction-slip control and how it differs from differential locking mechanisms in a μ-split situation. Traction control "brakes" the μ-low wheel to support the higher driving torque, while a differential lock diverts all power to the μ-high wheel. In both cases, the power is split between the left and right wheels, but the method of splitting differs.
marellasunny
Traction-slip control: braking a low mu-wheel to "support" driving tor

I've been doing some studying on traction-slip control(ASC). I've also been trying to draw comparisons between ASC with differential locking mechanisms on a μ-split situation. I don't quite understand how braking the μ-low wheel would still help maintain the max.torque on the μ-high wheel. Some simple explanation please.

Say I'm on a μ-split road.

Left wheel Right wheel

Ice(μ-low) tarmac(μ-high)

An open diff(without ASC) transfers 50/50 torque -> this would cause the μ-low wheel to spin -> limiting the torque on the high μ wheel -> vehicle in standstill.

My book then says:
"Traction control hence "brakes" the μ-low wheel to support the higher driving torque. By this measure the longitudinal slip of the μ-low wheel decreases with a nearly constant longitudinal force transmission,whereas the μ-high wheel transmits a higher traction force".

This seems far different than the working of a differential lock.In a differential lock,I have all the power diverted to the μ-high wheel to push the vehicle forward. I can't see how I'm diverting power in case of a traction control.

Note:I assume a scenario of traction control with a open differential here.

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Whether a lock or open diff, both mechanisms split the POWER between the left and right wheels. The lock diff split the TORQUE while keeping the rpm the same on both wheels and the open diff split the RPM while keeping the same torque on each wheel.

With an open diff, the wheel that is stationary still receive the torque input, it just doesn't rotate which, obviously, means it doesn't move. By locking the μ-low wheel, you force some rpm to go on the μ-high wheel. The torque split is still 50/50 but now the μ-low wheel torque is counteract by the brake system instead of being lost through friction (through slip) and wheel acceleration. The μ-high wheel still has its 50% torque, but now it can rotate such that the car will move instead of being a meaningless reaction point to the μ-low wheel rotation.

Re-read this post:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=4689744&postcount=4

What is traction-slip control?

Traction-slip control is a system that helps to maintain traction and stability while driving by detecting and correcting wheel slippage. This is especially useful when braking on low-friction surfaces.

How does traction-slip control work?

Traction-slip control works by using sensors to detect wheel slippage and then applying individual wheel brakes or reducing engine power to prevent loss of traction and maintain stability. This helps to prevent the vehicle from skidding or sliding on low-friction surfaces.

What are the benefits of traction-slip control?

The main benefit of traction-slip control is increased safety, as it helps to prevent accidents and control the vehicle in challenging driving conditions. It also helps to improve vehicle handling and performance by optimizing traction and stability.

Is traction-slip control the same as anti-lock braking system (ABS)?

No, traction-slip control and anti-lock braking system (ABS) are two different systems. While ABS helps to prevent wheel lock-up during braking, traction-slip control focuses on maintaining traction and stability by detecting and correcting wheel slippage.

Can traction-slip control be turned off?

Yes, most modern vehicles with traction-slip control have a button or switch to turn off the system. However, it is not recommended to turn off traction-slip control as it helps to improve safety and vehicle performance in challenging driving conditions.