Enthelpy-concentration diagram - how to generate.

• Thread starter maistral
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Diagram
In summary, the speaker wanted to create an enthalpy-concentration diagram generator in Excel using Dalton's Law and Raoult's Law. They referenced a PDF file from a university in Hong Kong and a paper from Saudi Arabia to guide their computations. However, when they changed the reference temperature, the values of the intermediate enthalpies changed drastically. They asked for help in pinpointing their mistake and mentioned that the issue was resolved in private messages.
maistral
So I wanted to create an enthalpy-concentration diagram generator in Excel using Dalton's Law and Raoult's Law (ideal stuff).

The problem is with the formulation. I studied and used this .pdf file form a university in HK:
http://ihome.ust.hk/~kexhu/ceng3210/221-05.pdf

Seeing as it also agrees with this paper in SA:
http://faculty.ksu.edu.sa/Emad.Ali/mylib/CHE411/CH3.pdf

I then decided to give it a roll. I managed to do their computations in an Excel spreadsheet with the reference temperature equal to the boiling point of the lighter component.

The problem began to appear when I changed the reference temperature. Changing the reference temperature totally changed the values of the intermediate enthalpies. If I am correct, the difference in enthalpies for the vapor lines and the liquid lines must be constant whatever the reference temperature is. I then backtracked to the previous example by the .pdf files, the computations seem to be correct. The changes in enthalpy for (0,0) and (1,1) of the VLE were held constant, though.

I managed to whip up an Excel spreadsheet for it. I'm hoping you guys could pinpoint what I did wrong, or did I miss something else. And yes, this again wasn't discussed in our undergraduate studies (lol). This is the link for the file:
http://media.angelfire.lycos.com/5684886/2337329.xlsx

Engineering news on Phys.org
I'm sorry you are not generating any responses at the moment. Is there any additional information you can share with us? Any new findings?

Greg Bernhardt said:
I'm sorry you are not generating any responses at the moment. Is there any additional information you can share with us? Any new findings?

Hi Greg,

I helped this OP overcome his difficulties in PMs several weeks ago. He contacted me separately via a private message. So this issue is resolved.

Chet

1. What is an Enthalpy-concentration diagram?

An Enthalpy-concentration diagram is a graphical representation of the relationship between enthalpy and concentration of a substance. It is used to analyze the thermodynamic properties of a system and to understand the changes in enthalpy as concentration varies.

2. How do you generate an Enthalpy-concentration diagram?

To generate an Enthalpy-concentration diagram, you will need to plot the enthalpy values on the y-axis and the corresponding concentration values on the x-axis. This can be done by collecting data from experiments or by using mathematical equations to calculate the enthalpy values at different concentrations.

3. What is the significance of an Enthalpy-concentration diagram?

An Enthalpy-concentration diagram helps in understanding the behavior of a substance in different concentrations and its thermodynamic properties. It can also be used to determine the phase transitions, such as melting or boiling points, of a substance at different concentrations.

4. How is an Enthalpy-concentration diagram used in research?

In research, an Enthalpy-concentration diagram is used to study the properties of a substance, such as its heat capacity, melting and boiling points, and phase transitions. It is also used to compare the enthalpy values of different substances and to determine the stability of a substance at different concentrations.

5. Are there any limitations to using an Enthalpy-concentration diagram?

Yes, there are some limitations to using an Enthalpy-concentration diagram. It assumes an ideal behavior of the substance, which may not always be the case. It also does not take into account the effects of pressure and temperature on the enthalpy values. Additionally, the accuracy of the diagram depends on the accuracy of the data collected or calculated.