Automate Computer Startup: A Guide to Scheduling Your PC's On Time

In summary, the conversation discusses different ways to schedule a computer to automatically turn on at a certain time. This includes using the computer's BIOS settings, creating a batch file with "Scheduled Tasks," and using Wake on LAN technology. It is also mentioned that there is a software that allows for auto-shutdown, but it is not possible to automatically turn on the computer at a specific time.
darkar
Is there a way to set my computer auto switch on at certain time?

Computer science news on Phys.org
no, I don't think so
but there an auto-shutdown software!

magic packets can also do this

darkar said:
Is there a way to set my computer auto switch on at certain time?

My computer's bios has some settings that would allow you to do that.

Also I wrote a simple batch file that shuts down my computer at a scheduled time using "Scheduled Tasks". The same way you can run a simple task and check the box in the settings that says "Wake the computer to run this task".

There's also a special piece of hardware...can't remember the name right now...but we use it on the school network to update all the computers during the night. Kinda scary when at 3 am they all boot up at the same time...

Wake on LAN. http://gsd.di.uminho.pt/jpo/software/wakeonlan/mini-howto/wol-mini-howto-2.html#ss2.1

Nothing special now-a-days. Your NIC simply listens for a wake up call over the net.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the purpose of automating computer startup?

Automating computer startup allows you to schedule your computer to turn on at a specific time, ensuring that it is ready for use when you need it. This saves time and ensures that your computer is always up-to-date with any necessary updates or maintenance tasks.

2. How can I schedule my computer to turn on automatically?

There are several ways to schedule your computer's startup. You can use the built-in Task Scheduler on Windows computers, or third-party software such as Auto Power-on & Shut-down. These tools allow you to set a specific time for your computer to turn on, as well as any other actions you want to occur on startup.

3. Can I schedule my computer to turn on every day?

Yes, you can set your computer to turn on at the same time every day using the Task Scheduler or other software. This is useful for those who use their computer at the same time every day, such as for work or school.

4. Is it possible to schedule my computer to turn on only on weekdays?

Yes, you can customize your computer's startup schedule to only turn on on specific days of the week. This can be done through the Task Scheduler or other software, giving you more control over when your computer is turned on.

5. Can I schedule my computer to turn on when it is in sleep mode or hibernation?

Yes, you can schedule your computer to turn on from sleep mode or hibernation. However, this will require a power source, such as a UPS or external power supply, to ensure that the computer can turn on at the scheduled time. You can also set your computer to wake up from sleep mode or hibernation at a specific time through the Task Scheduler or other software.