Non-academic and no paper reading career

In summary: I guess I'll have to keep at it until I find what I'm looking for, but I don't know how much longer that'll take.I've also been considering travelling. I think it would be a great way to see different parts of the world and meet new people. I'm not sure if it would be a good idea to do so before I find a job, or if I should just focus on finding a job first.In summary, Wukunlin is considering a career change and is looking for advice on what to do. He is in Canada.
Misquare
Hi everyone,

I've recently completed a postdoc in the field of laser physics (photonics), the same field as my PhD. I was involved in both numerical modelling and experiments and have done well with quite a few publications. But I have never had a passion for my work, and I want to start a new career that is not involving much research... Well, I have nothing against research, I just dread seeing my day consisting of mainly reading papers and trying to get publications. It personally is not rewarding. I have never been proud of having my name on top of a paper. I want to work for something more. It is not my dream to be the next Einstein (not that I think I could be).

What I did enjoy was the numerical modelling during my studies, and working in the lab trying to build something practical. And I want to emphasize practical... most of my research was done in the reverse order: have a solution and looking for a problem. Instead I want to find solutions to problems by applying what I know or learning something new.

I only did a postdoc cause I didn't know what else to do, and have long been considering a career change. Often I search for jobs and the technician jobs seem best suited for me, but I am overqualified now and the pay is so low. Any advice would greatly be appreciated. Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
What country are you in? My supervisor told me industry job market for photonics PhD's is really good in UK.

Hey Wukunlin. I'm in Canada, but I'm open to travel I suppose. Just unsure what I should be looking for. I feel a lot of the positions I could get would be research positions doing basically the same thing as academia, minus the teaching aspect and freedom.

My first advice is do a comprehensive career search. The purpose of this is to see if you find any jobs you think you would LOVE doing. If you do then formulate a plan for getting that job. I think it is actually quite unlikely you'll find such a job.

Failing that, I'd recommend looking at an industry job. They are usually more problem solving based as that's generally what people pay for. It is unlikely you will see anything like a Technician job unless, as you say, the pay is low. But if you keep an eye out for any job with a laboratory component then you may be able to take the job and spend longer in the lab as, quite often, people like to leave lab work to others.

Hi Reasonableman. I've been doing lots of career search (which is how I found these forums), and as you suspected, nothing seems to really reach out at me. I guess this is my fault for pursuing a PhD and postdoc without keeping a clear goal in my head. I just figured all the doors would be open to me, but much to my surprise, I feel like I can't do anything but research which is the one thing I wanted to move away from.

1. What kind of job opportunities are available for someone with a non-academic and no paper reading career?

There are a variety of job opportunities available for someone with a non-academic and no paper reading career. Some examples include positions in the creative industry such as graphic design, photography, and writing. Other options include sales, customer service, and trade jobs.

2. Is it possible to be successful in a non-academic and no paper reading career?

Absolutely! Success in any career is not determined by one's academic background or ability to read papers. It is important to have a strong work ethic, passion for the job, and the willingness to continuously learn and improve.

3. Are there any skills or qualifications that are important for a non-academic and no paper reading career?

Some important skills for a non-academic and no paper reading career include communication, creativity, problem-solving, and adaptability. While a formal education may not be necessary, having relevant experience or specialized skills can also be beneficial.

4. How can I stand out in a non-academic and no paper reading career?

To stand out in a non-academic and no paper reading career, it is important to have a strong portfolio or resume that showcases your skills and experience. Networking and building relationships within your industry can also help you stand out and open up new opportunities.

5. Can someone with a non-academic and no paper reading career switch to a different career later on?

Yes, it is possible to switch to a different career at any point in your life. Many transferable skills can be applied to different industries, so it is important to identify your strengths and interests and find a career that aligns with them.