Making a Decision: Choosing Between Interpreting and Optics/Laser Engineering

• Thread starter Omid
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolves around a 19-year-old who is torn between two career choices: being an interpreter or an Optics and Laser Engineer. The person discusses the positive and negative aspects of each choice, including free education for interpreting and the potential for working in a lab for engineering. They also question the possibility of pursuing amateur research in Optics and Lasers without a college degree. The conversation concludes with advice to carefully consider the amount of effort and dedication required for each career option.
Omid
Hi,
I'm 19.
For the rest of my life I have 2 completely different choices:
1. being an interpreter (studying English literature + translation ,English to Persian, + interpreting.
2. being an Optics and Laser Engineer.
There are some good and bad points about each of the 2 choices. And as they are very close to each other I haven't been able to make the desicion since 2 years ago.
Let me give you the positive aspects of choosing each one:
Studying English:
1. I can go to the best university in Iran.
2. it's 100% free! It means I don't have to find a job and my time will be mine for the next 4 years => I will be able to do my favorite sports.
3. after taking the .BS degree I'll have choices both at English and Managment fields to study for .Ms.
4. I'm not well socialized and these 4 years can be the best time to learn how to live socially, as I told you, there will be plenty of time in this choice.
Bad points:
I think Interpreters don't have any important work to do. I think the imprtant works that influence the way human beings live on Earth is done by Scientists and engineers.

Being an Optics and laser engineer:
1. in my childhood I was kindof boys who try to fix toys, clocks, calculators...
So everybody told me I were going to be an engineer. I don't know wether it's the influence of others or just my true intention , anyway, I think I'm made to be an engineer.
2. I don't know how a Laser works but I just feel, I like them very much.
And the bad points about this choice is:
1. I'll have to find a part time job to afford the educational fees. This one is a private institute which charges students a good deal of money.
2. the university which I can study Optics in doesn't have any good facilities, management, labs and even good students.
3. I have to study so much physics and mathematics.
4. the most important one is that I'm not sure studying optics leads to working at a lab. The only real benefit of choosing Optics for me is working at a lab with Lenses, Prisms, Lasers,... but we don't even have a national lab working on lasers !

Here is my guestion:
is it possible for an average person to do expriments on Lasers & Optics without a college degree and just in order to have some fun?
I've seen so many amateur bird watchers and astronomers who make their livings from different ways but all of them enjoy their holidays by watching birds or the sky.
But I want to know if it's possible to be an amateur researcher in the field of Optics and Lasers.

Any answer will be appreciated
Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
"Here is my guestion:
is it possible for an average person to do expriments on Lasers & Optics without a college degree and just in order to have some fun?
I've seen so many amateur bird watchers and astronomers who make their livings from different ways but all of them enjoy their holidays by watching birds or the sky.
But I want to know if it's possible to be an amateur researcher in the field of Optics and Lasers."

This I would think, is basically impossible.

If you find physics and maths very hard or uninteresting, stay clear of a science career.

What makes you think interpreters are bad jobs? Why don't they influence the people of the other world like science does? The answer is: it does. Interpreters have plenty of potential job careers: As a reporter in the news, translating is essential. Even UN translators you can become. Although these can be said as 'far-fetched' goals, its good to aim for the best.

I have to study so much physics and mathematics

Then you shouldn't do optics, at least from what i hear. You list much more detailed information on the former job, and the latter has 'just' general information. You list many things which are simply not true.

I have to work to afford the pays

And in translating you don't? I'm not trying to criticize you. Any work that will get you money will require hard dedication and work.

but we don't even have a national lab working on lasers !

Then go out when you finish your study. There are *many* good laboratories around the world, and nothing says to you that makes you remain in Iran. (I am not aware of your personal situations, i apologize if i have made a offending statement with this). Examples include the Argonne laboratory in Chicago (With helpful 'Newton') and MP institute.. Do you think these people went in there by just hanging around, contemplating things they say is 'wonderful'? No. That comes *after* the hard work has gone in. First you establish your seat, then you do whatever you like, which in your case, is research in optics.

I would suggest thinking of how much effort and work you are prepared to put in the thing you want to do. From what is given here, you are most likely to go a career in the direction of literature. Is that bad? You have to decide.

Omid said:

Hi!

Let me just answer the above question. I think it is very hard, if not impossible to study, let alone do research in a technical field without university education in mathematics and physics. Bird watching and hobby astronomy does not require the kind of systematically built up knowledge that engineering fields does.

But your choice seems hard, non of your options are bad, so listen to advice and make up your own mind.

All the best!

Oh my god. In less than 15 minuets four people read this post and 3 of them replied :smile: :smile: :blushing:
Thank you very much

Let me cear one thing up:

I have to work to afford the pays.

It means studyng Litrature is FREE and the university won't charge me. But studying Optics requires money so I'll have to find a job part time job in order to pay the educational fees.

"And in translating you don't? I'm not trying to criticize you. Any work that will get you money will require hard dedication and work."

Maybe i misunderstand what you're saying, but I think he simply meant that since he will have to pay for school if he goes into engineering, and hence will have to have a job alongside his studies, while this will not be necessary in the other career since he gets the school for free. Don't think he was making any reference to one job being easier then the other.

Omid said:
Oh my god. In less than 15 minuets four people read this post and 3 of them replied :smile: :smile: :blushing:
Thank you very much

Let me cear one thing up:

I have to work to afford the pays.

It means studyng Litrature is FREE and the university won't charge me. But studying Optics requires money so I'll have to find a job part time job in order to pay the educational fees.
But, if you actually don't like DOING maths&physics that much, you should consider alternative career paths..

I went to the Engineering faculty of a university this morning. I talked to so many students. And took a look at the labs. They were fantastic.
I think, I've make up my mind. I'm going to study Optics and Laser.

Thank you for all the answers

1. What is the difference between interpreting and optics/laser engineering?

Interpreting involves translating spoken or signed language from one language to another, while optics/laser engineering involves the study and application of light and lasers in various technologies.

2. What skills are required for a career in interpreting or optics/laser engineering?

Interpreting requires strong language proficiency, cultural competency, and excellent communication and listening skills. Optics/laser engineering requires strong mathematical and scientific skills, attention to detail, and problem-solving abilities.

3. What are the job prospects for careers in interpreting or optics/laser engineering?

Both fields have positive job outlooks, with the demand for interpreters expected to grow due to increasing globalization, and the demand for optics/laser engineers expected to grow with advancements in technology.

4. Can I pursue a career in both interpreting and optics/laser engineering?

While it is possible to have a career in both fields, it may be challenging to balance the different skill sets and demands of each. It is important to carefully consider your interests and strengths before pursuing a career in both.

5. What education and training are required for careers in interpreting or optics/laser engineering?

Interpreting typically requires a bachelor's degree in a relevant field, such as linguistics or language studies, and specialized training in interpreting. Optics/laser engineering typically requires at least a bachelor's degree in engineering or physics, and may also require additional training or certifications.