Rigid Bodies and rotatational motion

In summary, the 400N sign at distance 4m experiences a clockwise torque of 500N. The 500N weight of the rod at distance 2m experiences a counterclockwise torque of 400N. T
in10sivkid
yea...i'm having trouble today with my HW lol

a sign weighing 400 N is suspended at the end of a uniform rod 4.00 m weighing 500 N. what is the tension in the support cable if it makes an angle 40 with the rod?

now I'm curious i don't think Tclockwise = Tcounterclockwise comes into play

so i thought of this as a typical static equilibrium problem, but there is only 1 unknown that is the T in the cable that needs to be broken up into a vector

so exactly how does this get setup then

sum of Fx = Cos40F1 = 500 N + 500 N?
sum of Fy = Sin40F1 = 500 N + 400 N?

i know i am missing something

Physics news on Phys.org
help please?

in10sivkid said:
yea...i'm having trouble today with my HW lol

a sign weighing 400 N is suspended at the end of a uniform rod 4.00 m weighing 500 N. what is the tension in the support cable if it makes an angle 40 with the rod?

now I'm curious i don't think Tclockwise = Tcounterclockwise comes into play

so i thought of this as a typical static equilibrium problem, but there is only 1 unknown that is the T in the cable that needs to be broken up into a vector

so exactly how does this get setup then

sum of Fx = Cos40F1 = 500 N + 500 N?
sum of Fy = Sin40F1 = 500 N + 400 N?

i know i am missing something

Torque does come into play in this problem. There are forces acting where the rod is connected to the wall that are unkown in addition to the tension being unknown. Draw a free body diagram for the rod.

Last edited:
so curious would the summation of the forces in the y direction be

Sin40T + F1 (force rod is connected to the wall) = 400 N + 500 N
and but then the sum of the torque is getting me mixed up

if i choose the point where the rod is connected to the wall as the axis of rotation do I include Sin40T as well?

...also I'm having a hard time figuring out exactly how to setup the Torque if i do that...some help would be great

in10sivkid said:
so curious would the summation of the forces in the y direction be

Sin40T + F1 (force rod is connected to the wall) = 400 N + 500 N
and but then the sum of the torque is getting me mixed up

if i choose the point where the rod is connected to the wall as the axis of rotation do I include Sin40T as well?

...also I'm having a hard time figuring out exactly how to setup the Torque if i do that...some help would be great

Forget what I said (and deleted) about not needing the torque. It would apply only to a massless rod. Your equation for the vertical forces is correct. Choosing the point of contact of the rod and wall for the axis of rotation leaves you with three forces to consider for the torque calculation. This is the only equation you need. You would need the equation you wrote if you wanted to find the force the wall applies to the rod.

Calculate two clockwise torques: (1) the 400N sign at distance 4m and (2) the 500N weight of the rod at distance 2m (the center of the rod). Calculate the counterclockwise torque: the vertical component of tension Tsin40 at 4m. Equate the clockwise torques to counterclockwise torque and solve for T.

1. What is a rigid body?

A rigid body is an object that does not deform or change shape when subjected to external forces. It maintains its size and shape, and all of its particles move together when the body is in motion.

2. What is rotational motion?

Rotational motion is the movement of an object around a fixed axis or point. This can include spinning, rolling, or orbiting motions.

3. What is the difference between rotational motion and translational motion?

Rotational motion involves movement around a fixed axis, while translational motion involves movement in a straight line. In rotational motion, all points on the object move through the same angle, while in translational motion, all points move through the same distance.

4. How is torque related to rotational motion?

Torque is the measure of the force that causes an object to rotate. It is equal to the force applied multiplied by the distance from the axis of rotation. The greater the torque, the faster the object will rotate.

5. What are some real-life examples of rotational motion?

Some common examples of rotational motion include the rotation of a wheel, the spinning of a top, the orbit of planets around the sun, and the swinging of a pendulum.