Creating Objects with Conservation of Energy: A SciFi Short Story

• Thread starter Yossarian Lives
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Scifi Short
In summary, the conversation discusses a story idea about a machine that can recreate any object or being by utilizing energy. The person asking for advice is looking for ways to make the machine more credible and is given suggestions to consider the laws of thermodynamics and conservation of information. The conversation also mentions the concept of AI and its relevance to the story idea.
Yossarian Lives
Hello folks. The hinge for a story I am writing is based on a theory that I can't back. It's not entirely original, but bear with me. With this machine, you could recreate any combination of energy that has ever existed - and therefore any object/being.

The only thing I have going for me at the moment is conservation of energy. After that, I'm lost. I don't need too much, just some fluff to give my physicist some credibility. This is, after all, a short story. Any pointers? Any ideas that would make the machine more credible/believable?

Thanks in advance,
Yossarian Lives

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi. What do you mean 'recreate any combination of energy'? Recreate from what? You referenced the conservation of energy, so what energy is input to this machine?

You might want to look at the laws of thermodynamics to highlight problems your characters' machine might have.

1. You cannot get more energy out than you put in.
2. You cannot change the state of a system with 100% efficiency.

This machine will be greatly reducing the entropy of the system that becomes the recreated object, so must be drastically increasing entropy elsewhere. In the long run, your machine will actually destroy more than it recreates.

Also, the pertinent conservation law for the operation of your machine is the conservation of information, that is, from the moment the object you're trying to recreate was destroyed, none of the information about it when it existed is lost. However, this information will almost certainly be spread out across the cross-section of its future light cone (from the moment of its original destruction) at the time of recreation. Even if your machine had the capacity to rebuild the object from this information, it still could not be everywhere within the light cone at the point of reconstruction to access all of this information. In AI they got around this by inventing a postulate that the fabric of spacetime itself stores information of everything that ever happened at every point. A similar idea may be required for your machine to work.

Thanks a million! I think that's just enough information to weave my way through.

Cheers,
Yossarian Lives

El Hombre Invisible said:
In AI they got around this by inventing a postulate that the fabric of spacetime itself stores information of everything that ever happened at every point.
What's the AI here? A book? Or movie?

EnumaElish said:
What's the AI here? A book? Or movie?
It's a rather dull movie from Spielberg who inherited a treatment by Kubrick based on a short story by [not sure I'm correctly remembering his name, but...] Brian Aldiss? Or something. He's famous - I'm just ignorant. Anyway, the robots in the film do the same thing that Yossarian wants his machine to do.

Oh, AI the movie! I have even seen it meself yet failed to make the connection.

No fault of your own; it was forgettable stuff.

1. What is conservation of energy?

Conservation of energy is a fundamental principle in physics which states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, but can only be transferred or converted from one form to another.

2. How does conservation of energy apply to creating objects in a science fiction story?

In the context of a science fiction story, conservation of energy can be used as a plot device to explain how objects can be created without breaking the laws of physics. It allows for the creation of advanced technology or magical objects while still adhering to the principle that energy cannot be created out of nothing.

3. Can conservation of energy be violated in a science fiction story?

Technically, yes. Since science fiction often involves speculative or futuristic technology, it is not bound by the laws of physics as we currently understand them. However, many writers choose to use conservation of energy as a guiding principle to add realism and believability to their stories.

4. How can conservation of energy be used to add conflict or tension to a story?

In a story where characters have the ability to create objects using energy, the limited availability of energy can create conflict and tension. This could be due to a shortage of resources or a struggle for control over a powerful energy source. It also adds consequences to the creation of objects, as too much energy use could result in depletion or even catastrophic consequences.

5. Is conservation of energy a common theme in science fiction?

Yes, conservation of energy is a recurring theme in science fiction. Many writers use it as a way to ground their stories in scientific principles and add a sense of realism to their imagined worlds. It also allows for the exploration of ethical and moral dilemmas surrounding the use and misuse of energy and technology.