Relative motion question again

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a swimmer crossing a river. The swimmer has a speed of 0.75 m/s in still water and ends up 54 m downstream from the starting point after crossing the 72 m wide river. The conversation also mentions that the swimmer's speed relative to the shore is 0.94 m/s and the river current is 0.5 m/s. The final question, (c), asks for the direction the swimmer needs to aim in order to land directly across from the starting position. The suggestion is to make the problem into a triangle and try inverting the angle to solve.
F.B
I really need help with this question

A swimmer who achieves a speed of 0.75 m/s in still water swims directly across a river 72 m wide. The swimmer lands on the far shore at a position 54 m down stream from the starting point.
a)Determine the speed of the river current.
b)Determine the swimmer's velocity relative to the shore.
c)Determine the direction the swimmer would have to aim to land directly across from the starting position.

I did (a) and (b).
For (a) i got 0.5 m/s
For (b) i got 0.94 m/s

I have no idea what so ever how to do (c). Can anyone please atleast help me with this one??

Physics news on Phys.org
Make this problem into a triangle and try inverting the angle.

First of all, I would recommend using a diagram to visualize the situation. Draw a river with a width of 72 m and label the starting point and the landing point. Then draw a line connecting the two points to represent the swimmer's path.

To determine the direction the swimmer would have to aim, we need to consider the relative motion of the swimmer and the river current. Since the swimmer is moving at a velocity of 0.75 m/s in still water, we can say that their velocity relative to the shore is also 0.75 m/s.

However, the river current is also moving at a velocity of 0.5 m/s. This means that the swimmer's actual velocity relative to the shore is 0.75 m/s - 0.5 m/s = 0.25 m/s.

To land directly across from the starting position, the swimmer would have to aim in a direction that compensates for the river current. In other words, the swimmer would have to aim slightly upstream in order to counteract the downstream motion caused by the current.

To determine the exact angle, we can use trigonometry. Since we know the width of the river (72 m) and the distance downstream (54 m), we can use the tangent function to calculate the angle.

tan θ = opposite/adjacent = 54/72
θ = tan^-1(54/72)
θ = 37.4 degrees

Therefore, the swimmer would have to aim at an angle of 37.4 degrees upstream in order to land directly across from the starting position.

I hope this helps! Remember to always draw a diagram and break down the problem into smaller, more manageable parts. Good luck!

1. What is relative motion?

Relative motion refers to the movement of an object in relation to another object or frame of reference. It is the change in position of an object over time, relative to a fixed point or frame of reference.

2. How is relative motion different from absolute motion?

While relative motion considers the movement of an object in relation to another object or frame of reference, absolute motion refers to the movement of an object in relation to a fixed point in space. Absolute motion is independent of any other objects or frames of reference.

3. What factors affect relative motion?

The factors that affect relative motion include the velocity and direction of the objects in motion, the distance between the objects, and any external forces acting on the objects.

4. Can relative motion be measured?

Yes, relative motion can be measured using various methods such as using a reference point, calculating the displacement and velocity of the objects, and using equations such as the Pythagorean theorem to determine the direction and magnitude of the motion.

5. Why is understanding relative motion important in science?

Understanding relative motion is important in science as it allows us to describe and predict the movements of objects in relation to one another. It is also essential in fields such as physics, astronomy, and engineering, where precise measurements and calculations of relative motion are necessary for various applications and experiments.