Solution for these Differential equations

In summary: Reshma, rearrange the equation to:2ydy+y^2dx=\frac{x}{2}e^{-x}dxor:\left(\frac{x}{2}e^{-x}-y^2\right)dx-2ydy=0Yes, you can make this exact right? You know, the partial of M with respect to y, partial of N with respect to x, do that arithmetic, get some function of x or y, then e to the integral of that function is the integrating factor right? You know this makes two plots...right?
Reshma
Hi everyone. I'm trying to solve these differential equations but I could not crack a single nut. I seem to have lost my memory on solving differential equations :bugeye:. Please help me refresh it by providing useful hints.
I'm unable to separate the variables in the following. Perhaps I'm missing out on something important.

1] [tex]\frac{dy}{dx} + 2y = y^2e^{2x}[/tex]

2] [tex]2y\frac{dy}{dx} + y^2 = \frac{x}{2}e^{-x}[/tex]

3] [tex]x^2\frac{dy}{dx} - 2xy = \frac{1}{x}[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
Reshma said:
Hi everyone. I'm trying to solve these differential equations but I could not crack a single nut. I seem to have lost my memory on solving differential equations :bugeye:. Please help me refresh it by providing useful hints.
I'm unable to separate the variables in the following. Perhaps I'm missing out on something important.

1] [tex]\frac{dy}{dx} + 2y = y^2e^{2x}[/tex]

2] [tex]2y\frac{dy}{dx} + y^2 = \frac{x}{2}e^{-x}[/tex]

3] [tex]x^2\frac{dy}{dx} - 2xy = \frac{1}{x}[/tex]

First one is a Riccati. Make the change of variables usually done for such equations and see what happens.

For the second one, can you simplfy the derivative term? After a well chosen substitution, the differential equation becomes linear.

For the third one, the equation is linear first order and there is a general method available.

Physics Monkey said:
For the second one, can you simplfy the derivative term? After a well chosen substitution, the differential equation becomes linear.
For the third one, the equation is linear first order and there is a general method available.

Thank you so much for the help.

Well, I was able to solve the third one!

Bringing the equation in the general form:
[tex]\frac{dy}{dx} + P(x)y = Q(x)[/tex]

[tex]\frac{dy}{dx} - \frac{2}{x} y = \frac{1}{x^3}[/tex]

Setting [tex]y = u(x)v(x)[/tex]

So,
[tex]\frac{dy}{dx} = u\frac{dv}{dx} + v\frac{du}{dx}[/tex]

[tex]u\left(\frac{dv}{dx} - \frac{2}{x}v\right) + v\frac{du}{dx} = \frac{1}{x^3}[/tex]...(1)

Solving for v:
[tex]\frac{dv}{dx} - \frac{2}{x} v = 0[/tex]

On solving:
[tex]\ln v = \ln x^2[/tex]
[tex]v = x^2[/tex]

Again on substituting for v in (1):
[tex]u = -\frac{1}{4x^4} + C [/tex]

General formula:
[tex]y = v(x)\int \frac{Q(x)}{v(x)} dx + (C)v(x)[/tex]

[tex]y = -\frac{1}{4x^2} + C{x}^2[/tex]
Hope I'm right.
Sorry I could not find any suitable substitution for the second one :frown: . Please help!

Last edited:
saltydog said:
First one is a Riccati. Make the change of variables usually done for such equations and see what happens.

Ricatti? I haven't studied any differential equation like that. How do you solve such equations.

Reshma said:
Ricatti? I haven't studied any differential equation like that. How do you solve such equations.
First place it into standard form:

[tex]y^{'}+Q(x)y+R(x)y^2=P(x)[/tex]

Now, make the transformation:

[tex]y=\frac{u^{'}}{Ru}[/tex]

Can you now substitute this into the ODE? I'll start it for you:

[tex]y^{'}=\frac{Ruu^{''}-u^{'}(Ru^{'}+uR^{'})}{(Ru)^2}[/tex]

right?

Make the other ones to get:

[tex]\frac{Ruu^{''}-u^{'}(Ru^{'}+uR^{'})}{(Ru)^2}+\frac{Qu^{'}}{Ru}+R\left(\frac{u^{'}}{Ru}\right)^2=P[/tex]

Now simplify and obtain a second order in u. Solve, convert back to y, and I want a plot.

Edit: Suppose that last one looks a bit intimidating. That's just the general expression though. For your equation a lot of stuff just drops out leaving a simple second order to solve. Try it.

Last edited:
For the second one, focus on the term [tex] 2 y \frac{dy}{dx} [/tex], can you write this as something more convenient? Hint: notice that the only other y term you have is [tex] y^2 [/tex].

Physics Monkey said:
For the second one, focus on the term [tex] 2 y \frac{dy}{dx} [/tex], can you write this as something more convenient? Hint: notice that the only other y term you have is [tex] y^2 [/tex].
I had tried it:

Set,
[tex]u = y^2[/tex]

So,
[tex]\frac{du}{dx} = 2y\left(\frac{dy}{dx}\right)[/tex]

So the eqaution becomes,
[tex]\frac{du}{dx} + u = \frac{x}{2} e^{-x}[/tex]

But, I'm still unable to separate the variables. Should I adopt a different method?

I don't think you can separate variables. You could try the integrating factor technique since you have a first order linear differential equation.

Reshma said:
I had tried it:
Set,
[tex]u = y^2[/tex]
So,
[tex]\frac{du}{dx} = 2y\left(\frac{dy}{dx}\right)[/tex]
So the eqaution becomes,
[tex]\frac{du}{dx} + u = \frac{x}{2} e^{-x}[/tex]
But, I'm still unable to separate the variables. Should I adopt a different method?

Reshma, rearrange the equation to:

[tex]2ydy+y^2dx=\frac{x}{2}e^{-x}dx[/tex]

or:

[tex]\left(\frac{x}{2}e^{-x}-y^2\right)dx-2ydy=0[/tex]

Now, we can make this exact right? You know, the partial of M with respect to y, partial of N with respect to x, do that arithmetic, get some function of x or y, then e to the integral of that function is the integrating factor right? You know this makes two plots now.

Last edited:
What Salty suggested is a nice way of proceeding, or as Benny said, you now have a linear first order equation in u and a general approach exists as I said before.

Wow, thanks for your help, Saltydog and PhysicsMonkey. I got all the solutions!

1. What are differential equations?

Differential equations are mathematical equations that involve an unknown function and its derivatives. They are commonly used to model real-world phenomena, such as the growth of populations or the motion of objects.

2. Why are solutions for differential equations important?

Solutions for differential equations allow us to understand and predict the behavior of complex systems in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. They also help us make informed decisions and solve problems in these fields.

3. How do you find a solution for a differential equation?

The process of finding a solution for a differential equation depends on its type and order. Generally, it involves using techniques such as separation of variables, integrating factors, or series solutions. In some cases, numerical methods or computer software may also be used.

4. Can all differential equations be solved analytically?

No, not all differential equations can be solved analytically. In fact, many real-world problems require the use of numerical techniques or approximations to find solutions. Additionally, some differential equations may not have closed-form solutions and can only be solved numerically.

5. What are the applications of solutions for differential equations?

Solutions for differential equations have numerous applications in various fields of science and engineering, such as modeling population growth, predicting weather patterns, designing electrical circuits, and analyzing economic trends. They also play a crucial role in the development of advanced technologies, such as computer simulations and artificial intelligence.