More on super-reflective surfaces.

by Joseph King
Tags: superreflective, surfaces
Joseph King
Mar16-13, 01:22 PM
P: 29
So, I'm just going to suggest a circumstance, and leave it up for discussion. I recently read an interesting forum on super reflective material in which all energy is reflected (all theoretical, of course) and none of it is absorbed by the material. Now, say we construct a one way mirror where the other side acts as a window like in interrogation rooms. What would it look like from an observer's standpoint at different positions and with or without sources of light on either side of the material. Have at it!
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
The hemihelix: Scientists discover a new shape using rubber bands (w/ video)
Mapping the road to quantum gravity
Chameleon crystals could enable active camouflage (w/ video)
Drakkith
Mar16-13, 02:09 PM
PF Gold
P: 11,057
It wouldn't be a one-way mirror if all the light was reflected, as the properties of the material would keep light from passing through from either side. Then it's just a really good mirror.
DrZoidberg
Mar16-13, 05:49 PM
P: 371
As Drakkith said, if you have a material that reflects part of the light and lets part of it pass through it is not super reflective.
But maybe you meant something else. Maybe a mirror/sheet of glass that lets all light pass that hits one side of the sheet but completely reflects all light that hits the other side. Such a material is not possible since it would violate thermodynamics.

Bobbywhy
Mar16-13, 10:38 PM
PF Gold
P: 1,857

More on super-reflective surfaces.

Quote Quote by Joseph King View Post
So, I'm just going to suggest a circumstance, and leave it up for discussion. I recently read an interesting forum on super reflective material in which all energy is reflected (all theoretical, of course) and none of it is absorbed by the material. Now, say we construct a one way mirror where the other side acts as a window like in interrogation rooms. What would it look like from an observer's standpoint at different positions and with or without sources of light on either side of the material. Have at it!
Welcome here to Physics Forums!

When you describe reading an "interesting forum" about a "super reflective material" it is always useful if you post your reference for this source. Others can read that and then give better, more useful responses. Thank you.

As the others have already said, if a material reflects "all" the incident energy, then no light will enter the "observation room".

Register to reply